cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplications, old_media and new_media media servers.

Amaan
Level 6

Master server: NBU 7.0.1 and OS: Win2008 R2 Ent;

Old Media server: NBU 7.0.1 and OS Win 2003;

New Media server: NBU 7.0.1 and OS: win 2008 R2 Ent;

Storage: backup goes to Quantum DXi4520 (OST) and will be duplicated to tape.

Old configuration: Backup used to run from old_media to QuantumDXi and getiing duplicated to tape drive attached to it scsi;

When we got new tape drive and new media server, I just added new media server into storage server created and used in old media server and run the backup. backup client was old media server itself. So, now backup is writing to Quantum through new_media and getting duplicated to tape attached to new_media. But problem (may not be) which I am not understanding is it is showing me old_media > new_media in media server tab while runnig duplications. which I understand is old_media is reading and new_media is writing. In the other duplications in the other media servers I am seeing other_media > other_media. Why it is using old media server while doing duplication. I also noticed that bpdm proccess is running on old_media while there is duplication active.

Another question is, is it possible to duplicate old images which used to be backed up by old_media whithout using it. I mean with new media server. It used to be managed by SLP.

This is what i did. I have changed STU1 and STU2 on version 0 of SLP. both STUs are not for old_media server, but it is still using it while doing duplication. Why? Help me on this.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Problem with OST where NBU does not use Media Server who wrote backup for duplication or restore.

See this TN for explanation and solution: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87200

Solution: Create empty file with no extension under <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\db\config called USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE.