cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 42 on Window 2003 Oracle backups

pylej
Level 4
Hi All,

I have a windows 2003 NBU 6 mp7 client running Oracle Rman backups to a NBU 6 mp7 Solaris 10(sparc) Server.

I have a intermittent Network read failure (error 42) which myself and Symantec up to this point have not been able to solve. We have tried various solution such as upgrading the firmware on the NIC cards, adding a Microsoft patch that includes some Network enhancements, as well as monitoring the sockets using a Netsat scripts.

The problem continues, I am hoping someone out there maybe has had a similar issue and has some ideas for a solution. 

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Run the command from the following location on the Master Server and send me the output file.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist –B -C <Client Name> -S <Master Server> -s 09/19/2009 00:00:00 –e 09/21/2009 00:00:00 -t 4 -R / > /tmp/op1.txt

Please follow the document available at the following URL to create the Oracle template.

Please create and run the template and confirm if the Oracle database is backing up fine.

The URL is: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279477.htm DOCUMENTATION: How to create an Oracle backup template using the Veritas NetBackup (tm) Template Wizard

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Are normal File System backups working fine and just the Oracle backups failing? Is there a filrewall between client and master and/or media server?

pylej
Level 4
Hi RahulG,

Thank you very much for your response.

I ran the command and verified that the slice was not backed up. The slices before and after the failure and in the list for example pieces s48380 and s48382 are present, but it is missing s48381.

This backups have been running for about 7 years now using the same scripts, we have done various recoveries, so the backups are working correctly, but we have this Network read failure quite intermitently. 

I am working a Symantec engineer on the is case also and he has also varified this.

Anymore ideas?

Thank you

pylej
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

Yes normal file system backups are fine.

We also backup another system which I believe is identical in the hardware and OS, except the database is much smaller, and we do not get these failures on those backups either. 

Thanks