cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error occurred while connecting to the OpsCenter Server and Domain is empty

new2nbu
Level 4

I recently just upgraded to OpsCenter v10.  The upgrade was successful and all services are started.  However, when launching OpsCenter the UI displays a message "Error occurred while connecting to the OpsCenter Server.  Please ensure that the server is running."   AND  the Domain drop down is empty.  Looking at previous KB and support articles I've done the following .. any help is appreciated:

  • Windows Host File has short name and long name with correct IP address listed
  • Services have been stopped & started and are running 
  • The vxatd.log statues .. the last couple lines say (server.cpp:1806) Not able to fetch UseStateMachine flag value and (server.cpp:1823) found UseCACertForTLA = [0]      --- but I'm not sure what this could indicate
  • I do have a custom SSL certificate and I verified server.xml, keystore, & .jks file are all present and configured right
  • In the PF\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\logs -- the latest log directory - I see lines that have "OpenSection failed. sub_section = OpsCenterServices@servername.pit.sap.corp"  however that "pit.sap.corp" is the incorrect domain suffix.  I don't know where that is reading from?

I appreciate any help.. Thank you

 

16 REPLIES 16

Michal_Mikulik1
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Once I was in the same situation and the whole OS reboot resolved this.

Michal

Thank you, Michal, but I have tried server reboots and it hasn't resolved the issue.  Thanks.

Michal_Mikulik1
Moderator
Moderator
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Then I recommend you to test another/newer version of browser and if it wont help, open a support ticket.

new2nbu
Level 4

Hi Michal, 

Yes, I've tested a different browser locally and remotely as well and have a support ticket open as well.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Krutons
Moderator
Moderator
   VIP   

What version did you upgrade from?

I upgraded from v9.1.0.1 to v10.

Krutons
Moderator
Moderator
   VIP   

Could be a long shot but I do remember there being an issue with 8.3 naming convention in windows being disabled. I'd just verify that is enabled. Should be able to open CMD and type this fsutil 8dot3name query C:\ or whatever path you have installed OpsCenter on.

Hi Krutons,

Thank you - yes, I checked that as well and 8.3 naming convention is enabled. I forgot to list that it my troubleshooting steps so I appreciate the thought.  

Krutons
Moderator
Moderator
   VIP   

So are you able to see the default domain, OpsCenterUsers(vx)? or it is entirely blank? Also, when you are logged into your master, do you see any issues with the OpsCenter server.

The entire Domain dropdown is blank and nothing is listed including the OpsCenterusers.  Not sure I follow in reference when I'm logged into my mater do I see any issues with OpsCenter server -- how can I verify that?  

Krutons
Moderator
Moderator
   VIP   

I'm unable to verify atm but if you looked at host properties -> master -> servers -> opscenter tab, it would show a  green/red/yellow yellow circle I think.

Oh right, it is a yellow circle at the moment.

Hi @new2nbu 

I don't believe that the dot on the OpsCenter server changes color in host properties ever changes color (it is yellow on a test system I have and everything is running fine).

The issue you are having is with the authentication services not initialising correctly. It has nothing to do with your browser or the connection to the master server (which may well be working even though you can't log in to check).

I'd let support help you here - although what steps did you do after the upgrade to revert your custom certificate and are you sure you did this correctly?

Cheers
David  

new2nbu
Level 4

Hi David, 

Thank you for the reply.  Support unfortunately is a bit "stumped" and they think it's an issue with the custom SSL certificate that is applied to OpsCenter.  After the upgrade, I edit the server.xml file in <PF>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\webserver\conf and edit the keystone file path and password entries.  I then replace the keystone and custom .jks files located in <PF>\Symantec\Opscenter\gui\security.  I then restart OpsCenter services and the custom SSL certificate is re-applied.  

Azhar4
Level 4

i faced the same issue when upgraded from 8.2 to 9.1

this is what support did:

Solution
1. Rename the existing jkskey file:
From: <INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\config\jkskey
To: <INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\config\jkskey_orig
2. Rename the existing keystore:
From: <INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\Security\keystore
To: <INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\Security\keystore_orig
3. Generate a new keystore and jkskey file by executing the createSSLStore.cmd command
<INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\bin\goodies\creatSSLStore.cmd
4. Ensure the keystorePass= entry in the server.xml file matches what is in the newly created jkskey file
• Open the server.xml file for editing as an Administrator:
<INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\webserver\conf\server.xml
• Search for 'keystorePass' without the quotes.
• Make sure that keystorePass= is set to what's in the jkskey file just created
<INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\gui\config\jkskey
5. Restart OpsCenter services:
<INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\bin\opsadmin stop
<INSTALL_PATH>\Symantec\OpsCenter\server\bin\opsadmin start

 

once this works, you can go back to installing custom SSL for fixing warnign window

Hi @new2nbu 

I'd be looking to do something like what @Azhar4 is suggesting or revert back to the certificates in place immediately after the upgrade (hopefully you have these backed up somewhere). Then assuming OpsCenter works correctly re-do the custom SSL certificate steps.

David