cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when running Bpexpdate -calculate

O-a
Level 4

Hello all

Im tring to extend the expiration of my backup images(datefiles/mailbox and so on)
i run the command(windows mode):

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid 1257548645 -ret 24

i get this massage
are you SURE you want to recalculate expiration dates on all images
that meet the following criteria:
  backupid         1257548645
  retention will be changed to 24(10 years) Y/N:

an invalid entry was encountered

how can i change the expirationof m backup?

thanks for the help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

(by whatever method) you'll probably find that the image will be set to expire sometime in the year 2038 or similar (don't ask!). Hopefully by then we'll no longer be worried about supporting NetBackup6.5 or 7.0!!

***EDIT***
So, theoretically, yes it should always be there - unless someone expires it, manages to overwrite the image/media, media degradation, validity of initial backup etc etc. In which case it could still be in the catalog but not readable from the source media.

***EDIT #2***
Poor explanation of the 2038 thing! (There is a better one out there somewhere)
When is the expiration date of a backup written with a retention level set to infinity?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/235014.htm

- this is when NetBackups internal calendar ends.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: Complete instructions on how to reset the retention level on existing backup images using the bpexpdate command with the "recalculate" flag, including how to find the backup ID.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/258853.htm

Would expect it to be preceded by "clientname_" (minus "quotes")

Har-D
Level 4
Employee Certified
"1257548645" is not a valid backup-id format. It should be <client_name>_<ctime>.

This number looks like just the "ctime" . Specify client_name in the above format.

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified
The problem is with the image id. Its a combination of clients+unix time of backup.

bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid [image ID] -ret [retention level]

enter your right image ID and you will be able to change the retention level.

If you need - you can also change the retention based on tapes. Retention level will be changed for all images in the tape.

bpexpdate -m [media id] -d [date]

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Haven't checked yet, but could be that I've become invisible!
Might be worth me going to see the bank manager about that withdrawal! wink

O-a
Level 4

Tanks for the answer it was very helpful.

If i run the command bpexpdate -m -infinity all the backup job and data will also allways accessible and win not be delete from the catalog DB?

thanks for the answer.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

(by whatever method) you'll probably find that the image will be set to expire sometime in the year 2038 or similar (don't ask!). Hopefully by then we'll no longer be worried about supporting NetBackup6.5 or 7.0!!

***EDIT***
So, theoretically, yes it should always be there - unless someone expires it, manages to overwrite the image/media, media degradation, validity of initial backup etc etc. In which case it could still be in the catalog but not readable from the source media.

***EDIT #2***
Poor explanation of the 2038 thing! (There is a better one out there somewhere)
When is the expiration date of a backup written with a retention level set to infinity?
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/235014.htm

- this is when NetBackups internal calendar ends.

O-a
Level 4
Thanks Andy for the quick answer