cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Backups are in begain state not proceeding

Soap_Raj
Level 4

HI,

Exchange Backup Diff or Full are in begin writing state or hung state not proceeding. If I Stop and Start Services on Exchange or client Server, backup proceeding fine. For the past 4 day we need to do the same for running backups.

Master Server & Media Server: Windows 2008 R2

Netbackup Version: 7.0.1

Exchange Server: 2003

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Soap_Raj
Level 4

Exchange Backup Diff or Full are in begin writing state or hung state not proceeding. If I Stop and Start Services on Exchange or client Server, backup proceeding fine.

Nothing is showing in Event log on Exchange Server. No error in Job details.
We are not able to traceout the exact issue without appropritate logs and no error identified.

After the Server reboot everything works fine.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Need more information to pin this one down - it could be a number of things:

1. Anti Virus locking NetBackup Proceses

2. VSS having issues with exchange

3. Exchange checking state of replica logs (dependant on setup)

etc.

As a start setup bpcd, bpfis and bpbkar logging on the client and bpbrm and bptm on the Media Server so that we have something to work on

Anything showing in the event logs (application or system) on the exchange server?

Is the Exchange server the same version as the Master and Media Servers? (may also worth upgrading to latest patch levels for all)

Soap_Raj
Level 4

Master & Media Serve as well Exchage server all are Netbackup 7.0.1 verison.

Exchange Server OS: Win 2003.

Nothing is showing in Event log on Exchange Server.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - set up the logging and post it all after the next issue has ocurred letting us know the job start time and what time you cancelled it

Thanks

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

From Exchange Client server

Stop NBU services through CLI /netbackup/bin/bpdown -f -v

now run /netbackup/bin/bpps -a

Check if any process is still in hung state after services are successfully shutdown

Have seen this issue where previous backup processes were in hung state due to job termination and resulted subsequent jobs to remain in same begin state without writing single byte

Also try to reboot server as per leisure and let us know what's the result (make sure logging  is enabled before you initiate backup)

watsons
Level 6

"If I Stop and Start Services on Exchange or client Server"

This statement you mentioned above, is it the Netbackup type of services or Exchange services, or both?

Ooops.. just realized the post was weeks ago, probably the OP not going to reply.. :p

Soap_Raj
Level 4

Hi, All,

After the server reboot, issues got fixed. Thank you

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Something very unhealthy on this server if 'nothing' shows up in Application log... And now issue not resolved after all? Status 1?

What was done with logs in all the time you had no backups?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

if issue is resolved, pls close the thread by marking the relevant post as solution

Soap_Raj
Level 4

Exchange Backup Diff or Full are in begin writing state or hung state not proceeding. If I Stop and Start Services on Exchange or client Server, backup proceeding fine.

Nothing is showing in Event log on Exchange Server. No error in Job details.
We are not able to traceout the exact issue without appropritate logs and no error identified.

After the Server reboot everything works fine.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

We are awaiting your revert as Marianne asked .....

If Exchange backup completed with status 1 then consider it is FAILED.

i have seen at some coustomers environments NBU takes more than 3hr for begin writing state.

Soap_Raj
Level 4

HI Yogesh,

Backup will start by 6PM daily, we checked and waited for more than 12 hours nothing will happen, If I restart the services, and start the backup manually it will run else it was in hung state. No error on job details as well as in application event log...