cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Transaction Logs

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How do i confirm/check that my transaction logs for the exchange server has been deleted.

I am backing up two exchange servers and some of the backups complete with a partial successful icon, does netbackup still deletes the transaction logs for the Full and Incremental backup.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I believe transaction logs will not be truncated after status 1 backup.

My take on status 1 Database/Application backups is that it actually means FAILURE... Use bpbkar log on Exchange client to troubleshoot.

Extract from p. 67 of NBU for Exchange Manual:

" Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs after NetBackup notifies it that the backup succeeded. "

Also on page 181 of the NBU for Exchange Admin Guide:

Exchange Server transaction log truncation error

The Exchange server deletes transaction logs after a successful backup (for full and differential backup types). If the Exchange server encounters any errors during the deletion process, it logs this information in the application event log.
Since the actual backup was successful, NetBackup exits with a status 0 (successful backup). Refer to the Microsoft Exchange Server documentation for information on any errors that are encountered with the transaction logs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Marianne
Level 6

I believe transaction logs will not be truncated after status 1 backup.

My take on status 1 Database/Application backups is that it actually means FAILURE... Use bpbkar log on Exchange client to troubleshoot.

Extract from p. 67 of NBU for Exchange Manual:

" Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs after NetBackup notifies it that the backup succeeded. "

Also on page 181 of the NBU for Exchange Admin Guide:

Exchange Server transaction log truncation error

The Exchange server deletes transaction logs after a successful backup (for full and differential backup types). If the Exchange server encounters any errors during the deletion process, it logs this information in the application event log.
Since the actual backup was successful, NetBackup exits with a status 0 (successful backup). Refer to the Microsoft Exchange Server documentation for information on any errors that are encountered with the transaction logs.

NBU2010
Level 6

Hi All,

I m on Sol 10 with 6.5.5.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exchange truncates all committed transaction logs after NetBackup notifies it that the backup succeeded. " 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my backup infra....i m facing issue sometimes that even after backup succeeds, logs are not purged and after a 2nd attempt it purges...

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

ok, i will get back.

thx

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

pls i have uploaded my services tab on my NBU interface and the services.msc screenshot for both the media and master server, i really dont know why some of the service like EMM on the media server is disabled. pls check it out and advice

Also attached is the error i get when i try to restore any of the backed up files..

Note: abp-dc1-ebkup............................ Master Server

abp-dc1-ebkup2........................... Media server

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i really dont know why some of the service like EMM on the media server is disabled

If this service again and again going disable see the license. It may expired

Marianne
Level 6

These screendumps are not related to this post titled "Exchange Transaction Logs".

Please post this issue in a new thread.

Zahid_Haseeb

I agree with marianne

You need a successfull backup to see the transaction logs deleted

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Lets just say that for the transaction logs, you told me that exchange must back up with a status code 0 before it will truncate the transaction logs.

So i would just have to use the bpbkar log on the exchange client to find out the files that are not backed up and why.

So i would get that sorted out and get back.

But pls let us face the new discussion. i have started a new discussion and have attached the screenshots.

Thx

Zahid_Haseeb

Marianne means that you create a new discussion. dont continue a new problem on this discussion

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i have created a new discussion. right now my main issue is restore. i have attached the screenshot. what is the way forward.