cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange cluster backup selection

JBiggins
Level 4

I would just like confirmation that my policy and backup selection for an Exchange 2003 2 node active\passive cluster is correct.  In my example one of the cluster drives (drive F:) has some file data that needs to be backed up.  This cluster will be backed up via a windows media server.

Windows cluster node names

EXCHANGENODE1

EXCHANGENODE2

Windows Virtual Cluster Name

WINCLUS

Exchange Virtual Name

EXCHVIRTUAL

Policy 1 is an exchange policy using the following config

Client - EXCHVIRTUAL

Backup Selection - Microsoft Information Store:\*

Policy 2 is a MS-Windows policy

Clients - EXCHANGENODE1 & EXCHANGENODE2

Backup Selection - c:\ & Shadow copy components

Policy 3 is a MS-Windows policy

Client WINCLUS

Backup Selection - F:\

Are my backup selections correct?  Do I need to include the quorum drive in my selection, or is this covered by the shadow copy components?

Thanks

JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your policies look spot on to me - nice to see someone who has a clean setup of clustered servers.

Dont forget to exclude the *.mdb and *.stm files (or exchange database directories if they also reside on the F drive) from the MS-Windows policy.

If the nodes have a D drive (or any other drives) where applications such as Exchange are actually installed you would want those backing up too.

The Quorum is part of the System State so will get backed up on the Active Node.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Your policies look spot on to me - nice to see someone who has a clean setup of clustered servers.

Dont forget to exclude the *.mdb and *.stm files (or exchange database directories if they also reside on the F drive) from the MS-Windows policy.

If the nodes have a D drive (or any other drives) where applications such as Exchange are actually installed you would want those backing up too.

The Quorum is part of the System State so will get backed up on the Active Node.

Hope this helps

JBiggins
Level 4

Great, thanks Mark for your prompt reponse.  T

Good point about the exclusion too.