cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude List Properties

lanira_1509
Level 4

Hi,

I read the Symantec NBU Administrator Guide, vol1 : Windows regarding how to exlude list.
My client asks me NOT to backup several extension.

Is it possible in the Client Properties > Windows Client > Exclude Lists ; when click on the button "Add" to put several extensions on the Files/Directories field ?

For example :

*.mdb,*.ldb,*.ss, *ndf

Or should I create each exclude list for each extension ?

The current Backup Version is 7.0.1 (soon be upgraded)  --> does it support the win 2012 ? (don't think so, but wanna confirm that)

At last, I am not an expert of SQL at all, but why is it not recommended to backup these files ?

Thank you for your replies !

Lanira.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your exclude list is 100% fine. We do something similar for most of our customers.

NBU 7.5.0.6  and NBU 7.6.0.x supports W2012. See OS CL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

No file-level backup of online, running databases should be done. In file-level form, the backup will be inconsistent and will result in db unable to start if restored. 
The database built-in backup utilities must be used to perform online, hot backup of databases.
Using the NBU for SQL agent is recommended as this provides one-step backup and restore.
Alternatively use built-in SQL backup utility to backup to disk, and then use NBU MS-Windows policy to backup these backup files (two-step backup and restore).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your exclude list is 100% fine. We do something similar for most of our customers.

NBU 7.5.0.6  and NBU 7.6.0.x supports W2012. See OS CL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

No file-level backup of online, running databases should be done. In file-level form, the backup will be inconsistent and will result in db unable to start if restored. 
The database built-in backup utilities must be used to perform online, hot backup of databases.
Using the NBU for SQL agent is recommended as this provides one-step backup and restore.
Alternatively use built-in SQL backup utility to backup to disk, and then use NBU MS-Windows policy to backup these backup files (two-step backup and restore).

lanira_1509
Level 4

Thank you Marianne for your reply.
Now everything is clear.

Close this case by marking your reply as a solution.

KR,

Lanira