cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude List not working for User directed backup

Rajesh3299
Level 2

We are trying to backup snapshot volumes which are mounted on the media server and then from media server using bpbackup command the backup is triggered.

I am aware that exlcude or include list does not work for User backup but we have some junk files in the snapshot which needs to be excluded.

Media Server : RHL 6

NBU Version : 7.1.0.4

Please help me and let me know in case any additional information is required on this.

Regards,

Rajesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its the intend to define file(s) path in the policy.

And yes the schedule in the policy can't be a user backup, but must be FULL

Make sure the FULL schedule doesn't have any opening windows.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can use the bpbackup -i option in Netbackup to fire off a policy in Netbackup that will read the exclude list

The -i option of bpbackup starts an immediate manual backup of a client. The bpbackup option is available only to the administrator on the master server. It is equivalent to when you start a manual backup from the NetBackup Administration Console. Use the -h option to specify the host.

The same tech note give the following example:

Start an immediate-manual backup (all on one line) of the client host named diablo in the policy named cis_co. The policy type is Standard policy and is in the configuration on the master server named hoss.

UNIX: # bpbackup -p cis_co -i -h diablo -S hoss -t 0

Windows: # bpbackup -p cis_co -i -h diablo -S hoss -t 0

If the media server is on the master server server list (bp.conf) as SERVR = ??? insted of MEDIA_SERVER = ??? you should be able to fire off the command from a media server.

Make sure the schedules for the snapshot volume doesn't have any opening windows defined, as this will prevent Netbackup scheduler from starting the policy.

Rajesh3299
Level 2

The -i option is not allowing to pass the file list to the bpbackup command as we are only backing up the snapshot mounted on the media server and not whole of the media server.

Probable i can hard code the mount points in the policy and change the policy schedule from User to FULL and try that out.

In this way i can make the backup to read exlcude list.

Please let me know if this can work as i am yet to test it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its the intend to define file(s) path in the policy.

And yes the schedule in the policy can't be a user backup, but must be FULL

Make sure the FULL schedule doesn't have any opening windows.

Rajesh3299
Level 2

Sure, Thanks Nicolai.. i will test and update the results soon.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Here's a tip:  When one makes a Media Server a server of the Master Server (by adding a "SERVER = media-srv-name" in the bp.conf on the Master Server) then this effectively allows the Media Server to do *anything* in the NetBackup environment.  So, my advice is not to do this for a Media Server residing in a DMZ.  And to think about doing this on a Media Servr over which one has no control, e.g. a media server belonging to another person/team/dept/business.

Also, the "bpbackup -i" command doesn't have to run only "full" backup schedules, as the "bpbackup -i" command can be used to run any schedule in any policy.

Rajesh3299
Level 2

The test was successfull after manaully updating the policy with mount points where snapshot were mounted on the media server and created a full backup schedule.

The backup completed and files were excluded as required.

Thank for guidance.

Cheers !!!