cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed SAN media server

Keith_Adams_3
Level 3
We had a SAN media server die and had to reload it. My catalog backups are offsite and I'm curious as to what the disadvantage is to not recovering the media servers db?

If I do decide to recover it, do I need to manually load a tape into the library drive and run the bprecover command?
5 REPLIES 5

zippy
Level 6
Keith,

Your Master Server should have all the DB's stored on it, no DB's are stored on the Media server. So .......
what the disadvantage is to not recovering the media servers db? <--No DB's on Media Server.

If I do decide to recover it, do I need to manually load a tape into the library drive and run the bprecover command? < ------ Just restore it by re-installing the software.

then you all good.

J

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
Depending on your version of NBU (pre NBU 6.x), the SAN media server will contain the mediaDB. And you may need to restore it so the bpexpdate process functions correctly.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I backup the SAN media server's mediaDB in a regular policy using a storage unit on the master server. I then bprecover the master and then I can do a regular restore of the SAN media server's mediaDB.

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
I exclude all the NBU db's in my regular backup policies of my media servers. As with many things in the Veritas suite, there's definately more than one way to get the cat skinned.

David_Kies
Level 4
Certified
..in either scenario, the mediaDB needs to be recovered.