cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency and Calendar based schedules

Joel_Delaney
Level 2
I have read that it is unwise to mix calendar based and frequency based schedules in the same policy. what will happen as the documentation is nondescript? we run incremental backups though the week and a full over the weekend. the difficulty is that policy states we run the monthly full (indefinite retention) starting on the first friday of the month. we currently solve this by running frequency based schedules for daily and weekly backups and a calendar based schedules for the monthly. is this acceptable or am i heading for trouble?
2 REPLIES 2

Jim-m
Level 5

You are heading into trouble if you collect TIR info with running incrementals and have a monthly calendar in a separate policy.  

Why : the defualt is 10 to keep TIR info. Assuming that you have a separate monthly policy that creates a period in the TIR recording that is more than 10 days without a full backup in the frequency-based policy. For every file that has no TIR info there's a recording in the ..\db\error log and perhaps another in the ..\log\bpdrm log these logs can get huge and bring the master server to its knees.   To avoid this keep the monthly calender ones in the same policy as TIR info is based on the policy.

Also you may have problems with the calender retry option. I would study up on that.  

Joel_Delaney
Level 2

Thanks. 

Yeah jobs will exits with a 196 status when crossing the 12 o'clock AM line when they are were queued. but it restarts the jobs as we have that option set.

so what is the benefit of using frequency based over calendar based schedules of any?