cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance: moving a media server to another master.

luisvidal
Level 5

Hi gang,

I have 2 master servers (master 1 and master 2 in different domains) running NBU 7.1.0.x on SLES. Master 1 has a media server that is in another city and attached to its own library and filer (NDMP). I need to move this media server to master 2. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think firstly you need to ensure Media server do have connectivity with Master 2

If that is done throughout all network and security layers in between. Just add  Media server to Master server's host properties and vice  versa

Now from Media server's host properties server's tab select Master 2 and Click on Set as Master. This would update bp.conf with master 2 as preferred master server for media server

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will have to decommission media server from master 1. What about NAS filer? Will that move along with media server?
What about backups done via master1 - will this data stay on master1 or do you need to move images to master2 along with media info that resides in EMM on master1?
Basically - which master will need to perform restores of old backups done by media server?

We need to understand more about your specific needs...

luisvidal
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

Sorry, I went away for a while. in response to your questions:

* No, the NAS filer is staying at the original location, so it is a matter of zoning it to the new master. The media server is not moving location, only Masters.

It will be like this:

Current Situation:

Site A: Master 1 serving Site C (media server C)

Site B: Master 2

Site C: Media server C (part of Domain of Master 1)

Wanted Situation:

Site A: Master 1

Site B: Master 2 serving Site C (media server C)

Site C: Media server C (part of Domain of Master 2)

We will still probably need to have Master 1 processing old restores for Media C. Or, if option available, migrate all data to new Master (Master 2).