cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance on Netbackup Training

Altria92
Level 4

I was wondering if people whom have attended the ILT can share thier thoughts about it, NBU 7 training on Windows/Unix?

Was the instruction worth the expense, (~4K)?

Is it a lucarative investment or should other backup/DR avenues be pursued?

How popular is Netbackup in terms of market share?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

NetBackup has about 20-25% market share, BackupExec another 15-20%, giving Symantec greater than 40% market share.  Next in that list would be EMC Networker with about 12-15% market share, then IBM TSM, and all others.

I've done the NBU 6.5 training in Culver City CA, and it was great.  Very well worth it, but I'd rather just been able to purchase the books for $1k instead...  I also have some classes in BackupExec and their security products in San Jose, CA.  Those were good too.  Whats good about the training is that there are labs almost everyday after the ILT session.  

Personally, going for a SAN certification like VNX or NetApp ONTAP would be more lucrative as that is moving more than backup software.  However, if you can go to the training for backup software, pass the certs and an employer will pay for them, then more power to you.  Also dodn't forget the vmware certs, and any and all certs related to "architect," level certs.  This will be very valuable if you have that under your belt.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

NetBackup has about 20-25% market share, BackupExec another 15-20%, giving Symantec greater than 40% market share.  Next in that list would be EMC Networker with about 12-15% market share, then IBM TSM, and all others.

I've done the NBU 6.5 training in Culver City CA, and it was great.  Very well worth it, but I'd rather just been able to purchase the books for $1k instead...  I also have some classes in BackupExec and their security products in San Jose, CA.  Those were good too.  Whats good about the training is that there are labs almost everyday after the ILT session.  

Personally, going for a SAN certification like VNX or NetApp ONTAP would be more lucrative as that is moving more than backup software.  However, if you can go to the training for backup software, pass the certs and an employer will pay for them, then more power to you.  Also dodn't forget the vmware certs, and any and all certs related to "architect," level certs.  This will be very valuable if you have that under your belt.

Altria92
Level 4

Thanks for your fast reply.....

I figured so much I would like to move into Netapp certification as well since it is used in my environment.

I will pursue the NBU since my employer will pay for it.

TIA

teiva-boy
Level 6

Yup NetApp is good, it's everywhere.  EMC's VNX is also a good to have and is displacing a lot of NetApp and older Clarion's, as well as anything VMware.

If I had to prioritize, the question comes down to, are you looking to handle "now," or are you looking to grow your own skill set to be more marketable in the immediate future?

NetApp for now, everything else for future growth...