Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Vs Symantec LTO3 Tape Drivers

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hiya,

Just a quick one which i think i know the answer to but thought i would check anyway. For HP LTO3 Drives (this is for an EML library), is it better to use the HP or Symantec drivers? I am guessing Symantec as it is probably designed to optimise for Symantec products, but never really done much research into drivers to be honest. If anyone has any pros or cons for both or any experience on this, then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick
7 REPLIES 7

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
Windows media server, right?

I would recomend using the Symantec Tape Device Driver Install wizard (on the NetBackup CD) which can step you through the installation of the latest device drivers. If you do not have a NetBackup CD, you can download the Tape Device Driver Install wizard from the technical support Web site.

To discover devices, NetBackup issues SCSI pass-through commands to the devices in an environment. The server platforms that NetBackup supports may require special operating system configuration changes. Changes may include those needed for device discovery.

For more information, see the appropriate operating system chapter of the NetBackup Device Configuration Guide.

Ravindra_2
Level 3
We have IBM 3580 LTO4 drives we are unable to configure the drives in media server(windows 2003, 64Bit)
can you provide the link for symantec drivers

sym_se_support0
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
At the present time Symantec does not offer a 64 bit Tape driver.

Message Edited by sym_se_support01 on 06-11-2008 01:35 PM

Dion
Level 6
Certified
Hi

I'm running a MSL6060 with 3 LTO3 drives in our test environment and IBM 3580 LTO4s in a TS3500 library.  When I did the IBM library I read that it was better to use IBM's drivers for this model.  I could not get the HP library to work using the Symantec drivers and it worked after loading the vendor's drivers.  All environments are 32bit.

Chris_Babcock
Level 4
Ravindra,
     You should be able to download 64 bit drivers from IBM's website.  They have very good driver packages for their products.

Chris

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
I have 10 HP LTO3 drives and I've been using the HP drives successfully for a year and a half in 5 Quantum PX502 libraries.  The libraries are a bit cranky, but the drives have been very reliable.

-Jonathan

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
I am using the IBM LTO-3 drivers on a Windows 64-bit platform.  Go to this link and install the WHQL drivers:

Select the file:

Message Edited by Ron Cohn on 06-16-2008 01:31 PM