Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help -- Media Unmountable

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Background:

I have two separate netbackup enviornments.  I'm trying to re-use a label that was used on a DLT300 tape in one enviornment to a DLT600 tape in the other enviornment.  The target enviornment has never "seen" the label before.

Problem:

I'm getting a media unmountable error.  I've double checked  how I've inventoried the tape with the re-used label and it shows that it is DLT tape.  If I use a "regular" label that I have from another DLT600 tape then the tape works just fine.  I'm thinking that there might be something wrong with the label? 

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

calculus
Level 4

try with another of yours DLT300 Tape labels to DLT600 tape environment and let us see what it shows

ciao
calculus

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
did you verify that the label is realy not in the NBU DB? just to be sure try the next:
vmquery -m <tapelabel>

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Do you have any barcode rule in place causing barcode from DLT300 series tape to configure with a media density different than what you have for DLT600?

This may be helpful -

Details:
The robtest utility can move the tape from slot to slot. But an attempt to move the tape to a drive fails with an "incompatible media" error message.
The SDLT tapes in the library all have barcodes starting with 'S.'
The tapes from the old library have barcodes starting with 'A.'
The new drives are configured as DLT2. The old tapes are media type Digital Linear Tape (DLT). VERITAS NetBackup (tm) will not mount DLT tapes in a DLT2 drive, but robtest does not check media type/drive type. The error message is coming from the library. Data must be restored from media ID A00004 from the old DLT library.

Follow these instructions.

Leave the new drives and storage unit configured as DLT 2 type.

Change the barcode on the old tape to one with "Snnnnn."

Run the following commands on the master server:
cd /usr/openv/volmgr/bin
./vmchange -m a00004 -barcode sxxxxx
./vmchange -m a00004 -new_mt dlt2
cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
./bpmedia -changeden -new dlt2 -m a00004 -h {media_server}

Inventory the tape in the library.

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Thank you all for your suggestions,

Rakesh,

I tried following your example, however in the end I didn't have much success.  I appreciate the effort.  I'll just get some new tape labels.. that'll be my easiest fix.

Thanks again.