cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!! NDMP backup failed status 99!

Arnold_Kim_2
Level 3
Partner
Hi, Were having problem to backup the NetApp Fas270c with DOT 7.0. Am using NBU 6.0 MP4. Backup's are configure to used the Media Manager Storage Unit. set_ndmp_verify works with out problem..But during backup, we always get the status 99. Also read the http://support.veritas.com/docs/275330 document but, no to help. Appreciate your help. Thanks, Arnold
7 REPLIES 7

Anthony_James
Level 2
Whenever I see a 99 error it's because I have a typo in the policy's backup selection list.  The NDMP backup selections are case sensitive.

Message Edited by Anthony James on 10-02-2007 04:04 AM

1PSS
Level 3
could the ndmp filesys be full?

Anthony_James
Level 2
I'm not sure if the volume being full would cause a 99 error.  Another thing to check is if the volume you're trying to backup is online.

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
99 is a very generic error message.  Many problems can cause that to be returned.

Since this is a netapp, it should be logging NDMP backup attempts.  If you look in /vol/vol0/etc/log/backup, are there any lines showing the backup has begun?  What are the contents?

How about the job?  If you look at details, does it show any information about the job starting or exiting?

--
Darren

Arnold_Kim_2
Level 3
Partner
Hello Darren,

I've looked at the /vol/vol0/etc/log/backup on the filler but no files or directory exist. What I've noticed on the filer whenever I run a backup, the system messages on the filer reports a ndmp connection established. Below are the actual output.

ndmpdserver: ndmpd.access allowed for version = 3, sessionId = 37, from src ip = 137.55.57.72, dst ip = phgclbps01ms0f3/137.55.48.243, src port = 4048, dst port = 10000
Wed Oct  3 12:48:19 PHT [phgclbps01ms0f3: Java_Thread:info]: Ndmpd37: ndmpd(authtype+password) allowed for version = 3, sessionId = 37, from src ip = 137.55.57.72, dst ip = phgclbps01ms0f3/137.55.48.243, src port = 4048, dst port = 10000
Wed Oct  3 12:49:35 PHT [phgclbps01ms0f3: Java_Thread:info]: Ndmpd37: ndmpd session closed successfully for version = 3, sessionId = 37, from src ip = 137.55.57.72, dst ip = phgclbps01ms0f3/137.55.48.243, src port = 4048, dst port = 10000

Also, connectivity between the NBU and the NetApp seems okay. I run also the ndmp probe and ndmp session and i can see the session for the NBU backup. But I still got the error. I've tried also different possible file path but no to success.

Arnold

Darren_Dunham
Level 6
What about the job details.  Is there any text in it? 

Is the hookup direct to tape, 3-way, or ndmp remote?  If direct, does NBU load a tape in the drive correctly?  (It should do that before asking for the backup).   I don't get any lines in .../log/backup until after the tape loads, so something is breaking before that point.

--
Darren

Arnold_Kim_2
Level 3
Partner
Hi, I've figure out the problem. It has nothing to do with the filer. My Master Server has a two NIC card (production and backup LAN). The filer has only one configured NIC (production LAN). Given the setup, communications works fine. Some Windows and Unix client are backup using the production LAN and majority of the clients are backup using the backup LAN. Since the filer has only prod. LAN, communications between the Master server is okay. But, during initiation of backup, the NBU queries using the Backup LAN and this will cause the backup to fail (even though I set correctly in the hosts file). As a work-around, I've set the " Use specified network interface " to point on the production LAN and the backup works. Actually, I've found a similar solution in the BackupExec support... Thanks to all... Cheers... Arnold