cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding full tapes in Robots

Schwarzkopf
Level 5

Is there any way to hold specified tapes in robots, in such that will not marked like full tapes ?
Often we have full tapes to use in restores, but our Operators send all full tapes to external storehouse.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Suspend will change the media status to Suspended/Full.
If you think that will raise a flag with OPS not to eject the tape(s), then do so.
Perhaps communication will be a better solution?

A suspended tape will be automatically be unsuspended when all images expire.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
When a tape is full, it is full. There is no way to tell NBU not to mark it as full.

You will need to work with OPS team to not eject the tapes you need.

If I put these tapes in a Suspended status, it will expire normally when the expire date arrives ?

Is there any problem if I put  active or full tapes in Suspended status ?

Mike_Gavrilov

I think you need to review your tape lifecycle. If  you need some nonstandards solution that usually means that you do something wrong of your case is absolutely unique. Tape vaulting isn't unique at all. You need  to create multiple copies of data you might have to restore or move those tapes for offsite storing  a little bit later when you have newer backup or instruct your operators not to eject those tapes or something like that.  

Marianne
Level 6
Suspend will change the media status to Suspended/Full.
If you think that will raise a flag with OPS not to eject the tape(s), then do so.
Perhaps communication will be a better solution?

A suspended tape will be automatically be unsuspended when all images expire.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Our eject routine does not eject tapes that has been marked full with 2 weeks or are expering with 2 weeks. Both settings are parameters to the script.

Sound like the same teak is required at youre site.

Genericus
   VIP   

Are you using vault or manually ejecting?

I have a daily vault process that ejects tapes with backups from 0 to 24 hours old - it will never eject a tape brought back for a restore.

On Friday, I run a vault that ejects tapes older than 3 days - it will only eject these older tapes.

Only other way is to track them, and send a list to operators and have them hold the tapes on the list. Manual process fraught with danger.

Using suspend or freezing has no impact on vaulting.

You CAN use MOVE to move them to a fake volume location - the vault will not find them, but the first inventory will mess that up because it will put them back

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS