cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i make tunning to bpdjobs?

Armando_Saavedr
Not applicable
I need to monitor performance but I cannot use GUI, so I want to ask if someone knows anything about scripts or an easy way to do this.

I just can use comman line.

There are a lot of backups and I do not need all the information printed by the commands sometimes.

I wish you could help me.

Note: If you can use spanish ti would be better, but it is not necessary.

Thanks!

Message Edited by Armando Saavedra on 07-03-200709:18 AM

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Version? O/S?

IMHO, you will need to have scripting skills to accomplish your task.

"bpdbjobs" is the command line tool equivalent of the Activity Monitor.  Be careful, if you use the wrong options you could kill all backups and/or empty/flush the activity monitor.

You don't state your O/S, as the methods to control which fields/items/columns are displayed by bpdbjobs is different between Unix and Windows.  Let me know if you need any guidance on controlling which columns are displayed/reported.

N.B. The bpdbjobs -all_columns report can be tricky to interpret, as it contains variable nested data structures within other nested data structures.

The bpdbjobs has an undocumented option to continually refresh, e.g.:
$ bpdbjobs -autorefresh -stay_alive
...which will list the entire contents of the activity monitor once, and then after that only display updates to job IDs.  You could have a process/thread that just runs this command and pipes the output to a file, and then have another script that reads this file and updates it's own counters/display etc and acts as your own tailored activity monitor.

Also, as you develop and test your scripts you can use the following, from another session (login/Dos box, etc), to populate harmless dummy job entries into the activity monitor:
$ bpdbjobs -simulate

HTH,
Regards,
Dave.

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
In addition to David's reply, here's an example of parameters you can add to the bp.conf file -

# The following added so as to tune the fields reported when using 'bpdbjobs -report' command..
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = JOBID 5 true
# Added 'Type' field so as to enable 'Duplicate' jobs spawned by Disk Staging, to appear in 'bpdbjobs -report'..
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = TYPE 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STATE 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STATUS 5 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = POLICY 20 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = SCHEDULE 25 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = CLIENT 20 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STARTED 25 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = ELAPSED 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = ENDED 25 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = KILOBYTES 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = FILES 10 true
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = COMPLETION 5 true
# Added 'KBytes/sec' field.
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = KBPERSEC 6 true

Here's an example extract from 'bpbdjobs -report' -

Thu Jul  5 10:20:01 BST 2007

JobID   Type    State  Statu Policy        Schedule      Client     Started            Elapsed    Ended              Kilobytes Files Compl KB Per

308574  Backup  Done   0     CL_dummy_job  SCH_ORACLEDB  tmpserver  07/05/07 10:16:02  000:00:25  07/05/07 10:16:27  11051       1     100   23314
308573  Backup  Done   0     CL_dummy_job  SCH_ORACLEDB  tmpserver  07/05/07 10:15:16  000:00:22  07/05/07 10:15:38  4132         1     100   21298
308572  Backup  Done   0     CL_dummy_job  SCH_ORACLEDB  tmpserver  07/05/07 10:09:40  000:05:05  07/05/07 10:14:45  5962719   1     100   23557
308571  Backup  Done   0     CL_dummy_job  SCH_ORACLEDB  tmpserver  07/05/07 10:06:33  000:02:38  07/05/07 10:09:11  725476     1     100   15574
308570  Backup  Done   0     CL_dummy_job  DailyFull                tmpserver  07/05/07 10:05:42  000:10:53  07/05/07 10:16:35                   0     100 

Message Edited by Richard Bannister on 07-05-200703:42 AM

sdo
Windows based NetBackup master and media servers and Remote Admin Consoles don't have have a bp.conf file, as all configuration entries are stored in the registry.

The Admin Gui can't be used to modify bpcoldefs, and there's no bp.conf file to edit.

You have two options:
1) Edit the registry using REGEDT32 (not REGEDIT);
2) Use "bpsetconfig" to modify the BPCOLDEF settings.

This tech note describes the settings:

...and the following describes the two methods:

1) Using REGEDT32.
We have to use REGEDT32 because the registry value the NetBackup uses is a "REG_MULTI_SZ" data type, and REGEDIT doesn't really support modifying these types of strings.

Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

Add a REG_MULTI_SZ value named:

BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS
...here is an example:

CLIENT 20 true

KILOBYTES 12 true

STARTED 20 true

SCHEDULE 20 true

ELAPSED 20 true

POLICY 20 true

2) Using "bpgetconfig" and "bpsetconfig" (N.B. this can also be used on *all* servers and Windows admin consoles):
List the current bpcoldefs with:
$ bpgetconfig -M clientname bpdbjobs_coldefs

...and to modify change the bpcoldefs, just create a plain text file with the following, e.g. a file named mycoldef.txt to contain:
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = CLIENT 20 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = KILOBYTES 12 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = STARTED 20 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = SCHEDULE 20 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = ELAPSED 20 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = POLICY 20 YES
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = PATHNAME 99 YES
...and then issue an update using:
$ bpsetconfig -h clientname mycoldefs.txt

HTH,
Regards,
Dave.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
I like that "bpdbjobs -autorefresh -stay_alive" command...

Yet.....  The columns need to be widened....

Is there a way to do this?

Joe Despres

sdo
BPDBJOBS_COLDEFS = PATHNAME 99 YES
^^ required
                 ^ required
                  ^^ entry name
                           ^^ column width
                              ^^ display yes/no

sdo
You can also use:
$ bpdbjobs -simulate N
...to add `N` number of fake/dummy jobs.