cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I configure my VCBs for backup after upgrading to VSphere 5 and NBU 7.1.0.3

MelB
Level 4

Our systems were recently upgraded to VSphere 5 and NBU 7.1.0.3.  the VCBs on our system were being backed up to a media server but do now work now.  Is the media server needed anymore?  If not, how should I configure the VCBs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previous comments are all correct. vstorage is the way to go.

And there has to be a middle ground to work/collaborate between the backup admins and the vmware admins on this. 

But I would confirm that the LUNS for your shared storage VMware Datastores are STILL PRESENTED/ZONED to your designated NetBackup for VMware Backup Proxy server after the upgrade.

Since the upgrade to vSphere 5, have the VM's been moved to new datastores? Or has Storage DRS been implemented as part of vSphere 5 (if so then you need to get to supported NetBackup 7.5 for this.)

You need to have a bit of visibility and communication between yourself and the storage/vmware admins.

The only difference in NetBackup 7.0 and later is a staging area is not needed on the Vmware backup proxy. The vstorage api is called direct by netbackup and the snapshot sent direct to backup storage.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Why not, Take benefits of vStorage API.

Have a look at Abdul's excellent blog series on Vmware Integration with NBU

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/nuts-and-bolts-netbackup-vmware

For VMWare , i believe you need backup host, which usually used to be Media/master server itself.

else vCenter where you deploy Media Server and promot it as backup host, under Master server host properties

Add credentials of ESX/vCenter in NBU

Create Flash backup windows policy and browse through your vcenter/esx.

you are done with

MelB
Level 4

Sounds good, but it is not my call to make the switchover to vStorage right now.  I know we will have no choice to move over to that when NBU 7.5 comes rolling in.  For the time being though, do you have any solutions for a VCB configuration?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Well, if the backups are not working right now, why not recommend vStorage?

Seems NBU 7.x will automatically use vStorage. See: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/vmware-announces-end-availability-vmware-consolidated-backup

and this article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/netbackup-vmware-backup-over-san

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previous comments are all correct. vstorage is the way to go.

And there has to be a middle ground to work/collaborate between the backup admins and the vmware admins on this. 

But I would confirm that the LUNS for your shared storage VMware Datastores are STILL PRESENTED/ZONED to your designated NetBackup for VMware Backup Proxy server after the upgrade.

Since the upgrade to vSphere 5, have the VM's been moved to new datastores? Or has Storage DRS been implemented as part of vSphere 5 (if so then you need to get to supported NetBackup 7.5 for this.)

You need to have a bit of visibility and communication between yourself and the storage/vmware admins.

The only difference in NetBackup 7.0 and later is a staging area is not needed on the Vmware backup proxy. The vstorage api is called direct by netbackup and the snapshot sent direct to backup storage.

MelB
Level 4

Thanks for the suggestion to move to vStorage.  There were minor changes to the profiles that were configured for VCBs and they are working fine now.