cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup a windows 2003 cluster client for netbackup

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello,

We have a windows client who’s backups are a 2 node cluster and we are going to convert them over to Netbackup

I need to install the netbackup  client on Windows 2003 servers that are clustered. I found some information on clusters but not how to setup netbackup up on a Windows client cluster. It would be nice if symantec had a step by step process of how to do this then again our former backup software didn't have much documentation on this either.

Windows cluster client nodes

Node -1

Node -2

Does anyone have any advice on setting up a client for a client? Or a link?

Also, I was informed 2 more they temporarily expanding to four soon.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Topher-lab
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

The NetBackup Client service is not cluster-aware, so you would install the Client on both nodes. 

The backup can either backup the node names specifically, in which case we would be able to capture the shared resource from the active node as well as the root volume from the passive node.

Otherwise, you can backup the virtual cluster name, and the Windows Clusteing will direct that to the active node, and we will not backup the passive node.

Include the virtual name in all hostname resolution checks.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Adding to Topher's excellent post, special considerations are needed if you want to backup clustered DB(like MS SQL Server, Oracle) by DB agent. If you are planning to use DB agent please tell us what type of DB you are to backup.

File backup can be done as Topher suggested.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We configure clustered clients with a minimum of 2 policies:

Policy 1 backs up physical node names with local filesystems in Backup Selection.

Policy 2 backs up shared/cluster data using the virtual hostname.

TN:  (Quite old, a bit untidy but still valid):  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35842 
(Copied as-is from TN)

1. 3. NetBackup as Network Client
  3. Client is backed up over the network.
  5. This configuration is the most simple to configure, as all backups will run over the network. Using a Storage Unit Group consisting of multiple Network Media Servers will provide for some redundancy to backing up the Virtual Servers.
  7. a) To backup the cluster nodes:
  9. Create an individual policy for each Node of the cluster:
  10. Specify the Actual hostname of the cluster node in the 'Client Name' field on the 'Clients' Tab.
  11. Specify the Local disks & System_State (i.e. C:\ D:\ & System_State:) and do not use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.
  12. Select the Storage Unit of the NetBackup Media Server on the network.
  13. Configure the Schedules so that the Policies do not run at the same time as other Virtual Server backups.
  15. b) To backup the Virtual Servers:
  17. Create an individual policy for each Virtual Server in the cluster
  18. Specify the Virtual Server hostname in the 'Client Name' field on the 'Clients' Tab.
  19. Specify the Shared Disk associated with the Virtual Server
  20. Select the Storage Unit or Storage Unit Group of the preferred NetBackup Media Server.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Topher, Yasuhisa and Marianne! Thanks for your replies I really appreciate them they are very helpful.

Topher,  The windows cluster backups a an Oracle DB

Marianne,

I apologize for my ignorance, but how do I find out what the virtual hostname is? or do I create one  that's similar to the client  server/node names?

Policy 2 backs up shared/cluster data using the virtual hostname.

Thanks again for your help!

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

virtual hostname is name for virtual IP address, and it is defined in DNS, hosts file or so if you or your OS team have configured it.
If you don't know which IP address and which hostname the Oracle cluster is configured with, please ask to who have configured your Oracle cluster.

You can check hostname for given IP address by running "bpclntcmd -ip ip_address" if name resolver have been configured well.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks, Yasuhisa

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi

Note :Cluster update

I created a policy called >>pagicianqa_clstr _physical (for the client name I used pagicianqa_cluster)

Then I added the clients name (pagicianq1 and pagicianq2) using the gui>>attributes and clicking on NEW (hope that’s ok)?

So as the clients name I have pagicianqa_cluster and pagicianq1 and pagicianq2

For backup selection I chose c:\   >>system state and shadow copy componants:\ 

Then I created another policy (below) using the virtual client name

Clstr_pagician backing up drives>>  D:\ (oracle) >>  E:\ >>>F:\ >>>G:\>>H:\ >>>I:\>>>Q:\

I assume just running the backup is next?

Keep in mind  I am new at this and I have never set up a cluster before so feel free to correct me and ask questions or tell me if i am missing something.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Two things:

1) 'shadow copy components'  already includes 'system state' - no need for both.

2) Speak to your Oracle DBA - only non-database files can be backed up in Cluster Policy using MS-Windows policy type.

There are two ways to backup Oracle:

i) Using the NBU agents to backup online databases directly to NBU. Config Oracle policy type (Application and Database pack license is needed for each of the nodes). You will need Oracle DBA's assistance to create backup script(s). See NBU for Oracle Admin Guide for HOWTO.  

ii) Oracle DBA to backup databases to local disk (should also be cluster resource), then backup the disk copy using MS-Windows policy type.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,  That's good information i need to know I appreciate your help!

Best Regards

nbustarter380
Level 6

Windows Client Cluster update/question

Question

For policy 1 >>> pagicianqa_clstr_physical

When I go to>> host properties and click on the physical servers names in the cluster ..i.e >>pagician1.my.company.com and pagician2.my.company.com I get a good connection.

However when I click on the third client name >>>pagicianqa_cluster I get client hostname could not be found? I guess I should change that name to the policy name >>>

Policy 2 (the one that backs up the shared/cluster data using the virtual hostname.

>>>clstr_pagician1  does the policy name have to match the client name?>>> i.e clstr_pagician1 or does it not matter?

Also, For the policy 2 besides the one client  (that owns the  the shared data drives) do I have to add another client or 2?  i.e >> the pagician1.my.company.com and pagician2.my.company.com so it knows what physical servers the shared data belongs to?

Hope this isn't too confusing if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks for your help!