Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Import and Export Policy

righthanded
Level 4

Good Day All

Hi,

I wanted to know, is there any way to import complete job policy from one master server and export it to another master server.

Is there any where either through Java Console or manually using command line.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The most simple (and unsupported way) is to copy the policy definition (they are plain text files)  from 

UNIX: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/

or windows [Install_path]/netbackup/db/class/

to the destination master server. I do not know of any command line option or java console menu that will enable such a operation.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai. I have personally done this many times.

Best to close all GUI's on destination server when copying policies across. Ensure that there is not already a policy with the same name before copying the chosen policy folder.

You will need to update Storage Unit on destination master.

righthanded
Level 4

I have copied those policies from class directories to the class directory in new master server. When I refreshe, I still cant see the Policy appear in the new Master server. Should I copy other files also?

Marianne
Level 6

Should I copy other files also?

There is nothing else to copy. The policy folder with all of its contents (files and sub-folders) contains all of the necessary policy info.

Did you close all GUIs when you copied the policy?

If you did, it may be necessary to restart NBU.

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

You can export the backup policies, just to be safe, to a text file through the command below:

bppllist -U -allpolicies > C:\NetbackupPolicies.txt

But you can not import them automatically or systematically so the only way is doing what has been said by Nicolai and Marianne.

Marianne
Level 6

There is no way to 'import' bppllist output on another server.

Output can only be used as reference when recreating policies manually on new master.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Are these two master servers in same version same platform?

righthanded
Level 4

yes. both master server is in the same platform and netbackup version.i have close all the gui. ithink it mght need to restart the nbu.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Try restarting the GUI on the new master servers.If Netbackup has been re-started it sometimes does't refresh with the right info.