cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Restore a Full Windows 2008 Client

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello I want to know what files need to be skipped when I run a full restore job of a Windows 2008 client. I do the restore following the Symantec documentation for perform a full restore of windows 2008 client. We do three differents restore (WITHOUT RESTART): 1. System Drive (C:) 2.Shadow Copy/System State 3. Other partition or volumes (D:) We are recovering from a Full Backup with Status 0 (Complete Backup Job) But when I restart the client after the full restore, I receive the Boot error (SEE IMAGE ATTACHED) I can't use F8 for start windows on save mode. What files we need to skip on the restore process for avoid this error message?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HEMANPR
Level 6

People Here the Facts:

Windows 2008 can be restored ONLY in a G4 + Hardware. I restore my Windows 2008 Domain Controller Virtual server on  HP G4 Server.

*IMPORTANT* When you're trying to restore Windows 2008 (Not R2) you need to UNCHECK (deselect) the forlder BOOT (Commonly on C: Drive or System Drive)

Everythink its working perfect.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

HEMANPR
Level 6
Please People
Any Help? I need to resolve this issue ASAP. Thanks

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Hemanpr,

Your problem looks very similar to what's mentioned in this technote: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346398.htm

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Wiriadi

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hi Wiriadi Wangsa

Very intreresting the technote. I will test next monday on my office to see the results. Thanks for your submission. I let you know

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello
I succesfull retsore the systems without c:\boot folder.
Now I have a new error My systems reboot auto when going up (In save mode I just se the mouse point a few seconds and restart)
I see the last file crcdisk.sys on savemode option.

What can be wrong? Any suggestion for fix this? Thanks

Wiriadi_Wangsa
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Hemanpr,

I presume you are restoring back to identical or near-identical hardware? If not, it's a bit of a gamble.
I have a feeling crcdisk.sys is not the culprit but the driver right after it.

Also, make sure you don't have USB storage/unnecessary devices plugged into the server you are restoring as it may interfere. Might want to call support as well if all else fails :(

All the best,
Wiriadi

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello
Im restoring from a virtual machine to a HP DL680 G3
I disable unnesesary devices on the bios but the error continue.

I think I need to call support for see what wrong. Thanks for your help Wiriadi.

bartman10
Level 4
FROM a backup of a virtual machine TO a physical machine... good luck with that! Honistly, give up. Install the OS on the DL630, install apps, and use the backup to restore data...

Will_Restore
Level 6
can I put this Pinto engine in my Taurus? laugh

HEMANPR
Level 6
Hello Bartman
If you have any problems just let me know Maibe I can help you with that.
I perform restores from virtual to Physical computers before. The real issue here is somet application can't load on startup. I think its a Symantec Antivirus because I got the same issue before with Acronis. Edit the registry and its fixed, but you need to know what is the exaclty entry on registry for fix that.

I perform another test using a common hardware (Desktop Workstation PC) just to see if I have any issue or if the problem is the DL380 Hardware.
Thanks

HEMANPR
Level 6

People Here the Facts:

Windows 2008 can be restored ONLY in a G4 + Hardware. I restore my Windows 2008 Domain Controller Virtual server on  HP G4 Server.

*IMPORTANT* When you're trying to restore Windows 2008 (Not R2) you need to UNCHECK (deselect) the forlder BOOT (Commonly on C: Drive or System Drive)

Everythink its working perfect.