cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add multiple file exceptions to all servers in a backup policy?

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Hi,

I am currently running Symantec Netbackup 7.0.1.

I have many servers that fail on the same error:

10-05-2011 21:46:28 - Warning bpbrm(pid=7916) from client venus.silkeborg.local: WRN - can't open file: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Health Service Store\HealthServiceStore.edb (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

10-05-2011 21:46:28 - Warning bpbrm(pid=7916) from client venus.silkeborg.local: WRN - can't open file: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Health Service Store\edb.log (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

10-05-2011 21:46:29 - Warning bpbrm(pid=7916) from client venus.silkeborg.local: WRN - can't open file: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Health Service Store\edbtmp.log (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

10-05-2011 21:46:29 - Warning bpbrm(pid=7916) from client venus.silkeborg.local: WRN - can't open file: C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007\Health Service State\Health Service Store\tmp.edb (WIN32 32: Unknown error)

Normally I would go to the "Exclude List" through the "NetBackup Management" => "Host Properties" => "Clients" => "Properties" => "Windows Client" => "Exclude Lists" and add the files that I do not want the backup program to backup.

Now I would like to add these files to a global exception policy or list, if this is possible, so I do not have to go through all the servers to add the same exceptions.

It must be possible to have a "global" Exclude List that apply to all servers in a policy, but I do not know where I can find this :(

Can you help me?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

The is no global exclude list (pet peeve of mine as well)

You will have to select ALL clients where you want to add the exception (In HOST PROPERTIES - CLIENTS) and then click PROPERTIES

It takes quite a while before all clients are contacted, but then you can add Exceptionss to all clients...

regards,

Fred

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

AnotherUnknownV
Level 3
Employee

You must configure each client with its own exclude_list (end the exceptions, includ_list).

For unix clients, you can get/set the same lists to all the clients from the server thanks to commands : bpgetconfig / bpsetconfig

For windows clients, these lists are present in the registry, but they can still be remotely sent by the server with the same command bpgetconfig / bpsetconfig but they will work differently.

Please note that in the man/help/documentation of bogetconfig, the option -M master is instead meant for any remote machine : media or client.

Believe me, there is no global exclusion for any OS, and client, in any NetBackup version.

Cheers

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

The is no global exclude list (pet peeve of mine as well)

You will have to select ALL clients where you want to add the exception (In HOST PROPERTIES - CLIENTS) and then click PROPERTIES

It takes quite a while before all clients are contacted, but then you can add Exceptionss to all clients...

regards,

Fred

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

be applied at the client level.

This was put forward as an Idea a while back, but not sure of its current status.

***EDIT***

Looks like we all saw that at same time!

***EDIT #2***

Found the Idea: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/global-exclude-list

Also could be scripted but this old post is aimed at scripting from a *NIX perspective:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-0

Fred2010
Level 6

3 seconds faster ;)

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Hi all three :-),

Thank you all for your answers and help!

I think I will give Fredster approach on this a try:-)

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If you haven't already, vote for the Idea that I quoted previously https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/global-exclude-list - let's see if we can get the status of it changed from "In Review" to "Implemented"!!

Carl-Marius
Level 4

Hi Andy,

+1 to the vote is done :)

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi Andy,

Good idea! I voted for you as well...

I posted a similar idea on Exclusions:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/exclusion-list-wizard

Fred

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I also voted for you........yes

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Voted for your "exclusion wizard" shortly after you put it forward last year

Fred2010
Level 6

Hope that they get picked up...

I think Netbackup would greatly benefit in usability, once one of the ideas is implemented.

Maybe NBU 7.5 eh?