cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to eject catalog tape

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my master server is NetBackup 7.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2. I have scheduled a catalog backup to run every monday. When this catalog backup job completes, I want to eject that catalog tape from the tape library for offsite store. I can right click the tape in NetBackup administration console and click Eject volume from Robot to eject it manually. But I would like to automate this process. Is there any setting or scripts that I can use to do so?

I tried Vault but Vault does not support eject of catalog tape. I tried vmchange but when I ran the command it said cannot change volume pool for assigned media (91).

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Vault does support ejecting the catalog tape. Please check this post and configure it accordingly.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/send-catalog-vault-offsite

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

Vault should do the job, as I also use it to eject my tapes (Inclding the Catalog tape).

Just make sure your Catalog job puts the tape in the Pool you want to eject, before you do the eject...

The tape has to be assigned to the correct pool by the Catalog job itself: Not at a later stage (As by then it indeed is assigned...)

Fred

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your replies.

Vault support backup type as vault catalog backup for catalog. Is this copy of catalog backup data the same as that the normal catalog backup?

I need to use the offsite catalog tape to restore the catalog at the DR site so I need to make sure it is the same.

Fred2010
Level 6

Hi,

I actually do not use VAULT for creating the catalog backups.

I only use VAULT for ejecting tapes, nothing else...

So I have one normal CATALOG Policy. In that policy I put the tape that is created in an 'OFFSITE_CATALOG' pool...

This 'OFFSITE_CATALOG' pool is the pool I eject using Vault (Together with some othe pools that contain tapes to go offsite)...

In essence I only use vault for ejecting, nothing else (Not even duplication etc)

Fred

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Vault support backup type as vault catalog backup for catalog. Is this copy of catalog backup data the same as that the normal catalog backup?

I need to use the offsite catalog tape to restore the catalog at the DR site so I need to make sure it is the same.

To do it correctly, you set vault to run a 'Vault' catalog backup.  This is just a 'normal catalog backup' but Vault runs this automatically during the running of the vault profile.  This is the most up-to-date catalog, that wold be ejected.

This procedure is fully covered and explained in he Vault Admin Guide.

Martin

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for all your replies.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am more concerned about your Catalog backup frequency - only once a week on a Monday??

Have you ever tried to recover catalogs after a server/disk failure on a Sunday? You do realize that your entire week's catalogs will be LOST?

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Marinanne, we have two catalog backups:

1) One catalog backup runs every day. It will back up to tape and this tape is stored in the tape library.

2) One catalog backup runs only on every Monday. It will back up to offsite tape and this tape will be sent to another place for store. This offsite catalog tape is for DR purpose. In the event of DR, we will build the DR master server in our DR site and use this tape to restore the catalog to the DR master server.

We actually want to replicate the catalog over WAN to our DR site every day. But we are unable to do that. We only have one media dedupe server in our DR site. Based on my understanding, we need to have a standby master server in DR site in order to replicate catalog.