Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore Sun Enterprise M4000 backup to VM using BMR

Ram_drk
Level 3
Certified

Hi All,

we have sun M4000 physical server in our backup rotation and I would to know procedure for BMR restore to virtual machine.

master server 7.7.3 - win 2008 R2 and client running with Solaris 5.10 NBU 6.5

6 REPLIES 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

The Dissimilar Restore (DSR) for UNIX/LINUX is not supported.
The same also mentioned in article provided by RiaanBadenhorst.

The Physical To Virtual (P2V) also DSR. During restore you may encounter various issue.

Thanks & Regards

Marianne
Level 6

@Ram_drk Any reason why the client is still on NBU 6.5?

Are you aware that this version ran out of support in 2012?

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

follow the link given by @RiaanBadenhorst youll find: Lastly, BMR is not intended to be used as a provisioning/cloning tool.  The creation of exact system duplicates can be a violation of software licensing agreements in place for any given server.

I think best ist to use Oracle P2V tool. (flar) or bether start with Solaris 11.3

ciao

tunix2k

Ram_drk
Level 3
Certified

Hi Marianne,

Yes I am aware the version is not supported with current version, We have some old application dependency with the server and our recommendatation is to upgrade or migrate the H/W & S/W to supported version. Also I am for options from Backup prespective to restore P2V.

Mike_Gavrilov

Ram_drk, to what type of VM you're going to restore your M4000 backup? If you're talking about LDOMs then it's better to use "Logical Domains Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) Migration" procedure. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH162994  says:

All NetBackup components supported with Solaris 10 SPARC physical servers are supported in a Solaris 10 LDoms Control Domain and I/O Domain with the exception of Bare Metal Restore (server or client). Guest domain support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server and disk media server.

It isn't clear if guest domain is supported by BMR client.