cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore a 500 SQL databases to an alternate client

MyScreen
Level 2

Hello to you all,

I have a 500 Microsoft SQL databases on a single instance.

I need to move all 500 databases to a new instance on an new server.

I will keep the same drive letters that is on the actual production server.

Is there a easy way?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

I'm  using Netbackup Entrepise Server 6.5.2

Best Regards

Carlos

3 REPLIES 3

Former_Mary_Kay
Level 4

I'd suggest a cold backup, in that the databases are all shutdown (set services to manually start and then reboot to make sure there are no locked files) and then you backup the filesystem as a regular filesystem backup.  You could even just copy the file straight over from there.

On the other hand, you may have to reconfigure then on the new system, and you'll want to re-import them.  Do this using SQL's own build in functionality, as it will be faster then involving NetBackup in it.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Configure a A-Sync replica from SQL to SQL is also a good option and you can go online in the new box soonest the replica is done without affecting production not even for a second, running the backup and restoring it can take some time and by the time you finish you will have more new data over the DB's which is not under the backups getting a DB missmatch and discrepancies which are a pain to fix later, I will highly recommend to use a Sync tool or Snapshoot's has SnapMirror from NetApp.

regards

MyScreen
Level 2

Hello guys,

All your ideas are correct.

Many tks for your ideas. I was looking for a veritas netbackup solution like "restore all" by Veritas Netbackup sql agent, like restore the instance and not database by database.

Probably I will use one of the yours solutions.

All your ideas are correct.

Best Regards

Carlos