cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set policy for backup to disk (replace disk)

piyaboot
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Dear all

I use NetBackup 6.0 for Windows server (EMM)

I have problem with tape device and I try to set the backup to disk policy.

I select the device to disk backup and the policy work as I need (everyday at 6 PM), but I have problem that my harddisk is full.

I want to know that how to set the policy that replace the disk backup every 2 days.

First day backup to disk 1 image

2nd day backup to disk 2 image

3rd day backup to disk replace the first day backup.

Like this.

In the Backup Exec I can create the job policy that replace every 2 day but in NBU 6.0 I don't know how to do.

Please guide me for this.

Best Regards.

Piyaboot

2 REPLIES 2

Dion
Level 6
Certified

There's a couple of way to answer this based on what it is you are trying to do.  Firsty, in NetBackup, you cannot set NetBackup to overwrite specific backups that already exist - data is kept for the period specified by the retention.

If you only want to keep backups for two days then you can set the retention of the backup to 2 days.  This third day's backup will not "overwrite" day 1's backup but day 1 will expire around the time that day 3 backup starts.

Secondly, if you are making a second copy on tape (duplicating your images for offsite), you can set up your disk storage unit as a temporary storage unit which regularly duplicates to tape.  In this situation, images that have been duplicated onto tape will become candidates for deletion as and when required.  This allows you to keep as much data on disk as possible untill space is required by a backup.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

Under your DSSU just configure the Watermark to 80% and that will expire the oldest image once you get to the 80% of your disk, releasing space for your new backups or better if you upgrade to 6.5 you can use SLP's who control all this much better than DSSU.

regards