cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to troubleshoot NetBackup 6.0MP3 Linux Client

Diego_De_Fuente
Level 2
Hello, i have a NetBackup Business server installation running on a Windows 2003 Server and backuping Windows PCs is working without a problem so far.

But now, i am trying to use the Linux client license, but so far i have been unable to get it to work, the client is installed on a testing server and when trying to reach it from the server with the
"telnet IPADDRESS 13782" command i get a "gethostbyaddr: Success" message, which apparently means that the client is correctly installed and configured.

But when i run the Netbackup administration console, and create a Policy to back up that particular server, add the client via IP specifying that it is running Linux Red Hat and then try to get its host properties or try to run a Manual Backup the result is always negative, i either get a "invalid error number" or a "error writing socket" message.

I am running iptables on the client and the bpcd service is open:

ACCEPT tcp -- nmu-stor-ver1 anywhere tcp dpt:bpcd
ACCEPT tcp -- nmu-stor-ver1 anywhere tcp dpt:bpcd
ACCEPT tcp -- nmu-stor-ver1 anywhere tcp dpt:bprd

is there anything else i should open on the client end? if not a tcp issue what else can be wrong with my set up?

Thanks in advanceMessage was edited by:
Diego De Fuentes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I would try putting an entry into /etc/hosts file just to check. Can you ping and traceroute to the box? What about rsh or ssh?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

zippy
Level 6
Diago,

This is what I have on my LINUX servers /etc/services file.

bprd 13720/tcp # BPRD (VERITAS NetBackup)
bprd 13720/udp # BPRD (VERITAS NetBackup)
bpdbm 13721/tcp # BPDBM (VERITAS NetBackup)
bpdbm 13721/udp # BPDBM (VERITAS NetBackup)
bpjava-msvc 13722/tcp # BP Java MSVC Protocol
bpjava-msvc 13722/udp # BP Java MSVC Protocol
vnetd 13724/tcp # Veritas Network Utility
vnetd 13724/udp # Veritas Network Utility
bpcd 13782/tcp # VERITAS NetBackup
bpcd 13782/udp # VERITAS NetBackup
vopied 13783/tcp # VOPIED Protocol
vopied 13783/udp # VOPIED Protocol

I only have 82. 83 and 24 open for backups

You dont need tha java, but it cant hurt to open it while trying to setup ipchains.

linux version of netbackup needs a patch too, look on Net backups web site, itas an RPM library.

JD

JD

Diego_De_Fuente
Level 2
James, thank you for your reply. My /etc/services already had all the Netbackup components entries configured but for TCP only, i added the lines for UDP as you suggested. I restarted xinetd and the result is the same:

cannot connect on socket(25)

Telneting from the Windows server on ports 13782, 13783 and 17824 is possible and connections are made.

I had downloaded and installed the MP3 pack previously to my first post, and i have not found any other type of patch or RPM package in the Veritas support site, can you please provide the file name for the RPM patch that you mention?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Did you open up the same ports in your iptables config. try disabling iptables get it to work then enable iptables and go from there.Message was edited by:
Dennis Strom

Diego_De_Fuente
Level 2
Dennis, i stopped the iptables daemon and the problem persists; i just had a call with Symantec Tech Support and sent them a lot of info from both my server and client.

I will keep on trying, any other suggestions will be appreciated.Message was edited by:
Diego De Fuentes

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I would try putting an entry into /etc/hosts file just to check. Can you ping and traceroute to the box? What about rsh or ssh?

Diego_De_Fuente
Level 2
You got it Dennis, adding a manual entry to /etc/hosts made it work, i just had to be carefull and use the the internal IP for my server, because the external IP wouldnt work; even after re enabling iptables the backups run and now everything seems to be ok, i think i'll add a DNS entry in our domain to aviod this in the future.

zippy
Level 6
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Points man help an admin out. Another 10000 and I will be able to catch up with Bob.