cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the NBU$CLIENT_NAME logical on OpenVMS cluster with shared system disk

sloan
Level 2
Hello all.  I have a 2 node OpenVMS cluster that I want to use both nodes to spread the backup load across.  In the release notes for the 6.5.5 client I see an entry about this exact configuration and using the NBU$CLIENT_NAME logical to define the node names (since with a shared BP.CONF file can't use the SERVER= line).  Some further notes I found mention that I should check the "Cluster Installation" section of the user guide but there is no such section. 

Anyway, I have tried to define that logical both with the server name and the FQDN but each time when I try a NBU SHOW CLIENT I get a
%NBU-E-GETHOSTBYNAME, gethostbyname failure for host

Here's the small blurb that mentions that logical.  Searches all around the Symantec site as well as trying all sorts of Google searches don't give me any useful information about the NBU$CLIENT_NAME logical.  Can anybody point me to any documention or wisdom that actually tells the correct way to define and use the logical?  TIA

26. OpenVMS cluster nodes which share a common bootable system
   disk  also  share  a common bp.conf (NBU$CONFIG) configuration
   file.   In  such  a  case  it  is  not  possible  to  set  the
   CLIENT_NAME (in the bp.conf file) for an individual node.

This  release  supports the NBU$CLIENT_NAME logical name which
   can be defined to the client name of an individual node.

Sloan Essman
Stewart Professional Solutions

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi Sloan, it's been awhile since I VMS'd but I'm wodering if you've tried defining an EXEC mode logical?

Possibly the "CLIENT_NAME = " line must not be present for the logical to take effect, i.e. it is possible that an entry inside the NBU$CONFIG: file takes precedence over the definition of the NBU$CLIENT_NAME: logical.

sloan
Level 2
/EXEC didn't have any change.  the NBU utility is seeing the logical because it changes the error based on what I assign, including the value of the logical in the error message but with a colon on the end, like so:

HOLMES> define/system/exec nbu$client_name holmes
%DCL-I-SUPERSEDE, previous value of NBU$CLIENT_NAME has been superseded
HOLMES> sho log nbu$client_name
   "NBU$CLIENT_NAME" = "HOLMES" (LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)
HOLMES> nbu show client
%NBU-E-GETHOSTBYNAME, gethostbyname failure for host "holmes:"

If I could just find where the usage of that logical is defined, that may show the correction.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
The error line seems to have an embedded colon on the end of the value?
%NBU-E-GETHOSTBYNAME, gethostbyname failure for host "holmes:"

...could you try defining a concealed terminal logical?