cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like retention task delete last backup only when backup job done successfully

Zurabi
Level 2

Hello,

If backup job failed in netbackup, retention task delete last backup.
Is it possible to configure that if backup job failed, retention task didn't delete last backup.

I'd like retention task delete last backup only when backup job done successfully

Thank for your help

3 REPLIES 3

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Not very sure on what your query is.. But if a job fails in NetBackup the image is not saved and immediately an image cleanup job runs and removes all the fragments for such backupids..

Not really sure which retention task you are referring to.. If you mean that if the job fails it needs to keep the fragments which were already written that is not possible or would not be logical because the job itself failed so the backupid is not valid and must not be saved..

If the job completes with a Status 1 rather than a failure then the image is retained and you can restore data from it as well (ofcourse only the data which was successfully backed up)

I don't mean to save failed job , i know it will be deleted.

if job will failed i don't want to retention task deleted last good backup

I keep backup for one day. if job will failed retention task did not delete last good backup

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Ok got it.. so you mean say you run backup on Monday and it is successful.. Tuesday backup runs but fails.. And now you want that the monday image is not removed because tuesday’s job failed..

Plain and simple answer would be not possible.. The expiration of the image completely depends on the retention that is set.. It has absolutely nothing to do with new jobs. Even if you do not run the job on tuesday still the monday’s image would be removed as per its retention..

You need to change your backup strategy and increase retention. 1 day retention I believe would be used only if its a test server.. I have never really seen anyone using 1 day retention for backups in production environments, unless ofcourse you would be one of those customers who use standalone tape drives with 7 tapes (1 for each day :p )