cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 free media on the scartch pool, but I still got Error 96 !?!

Haim_Snir
Level 3
Hi

On my scartch pool I have 2 new free media (I use the Win admin console) but still some of the jobs won’t run cause “Error 96: unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unithas none available.”
Why do I get this error?
Also I run the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media - this report declare that I have 5 free media on the scartch pool, why is this difference?

Thanks

Haim
4 REPLIES 4

Satish_Kumar_3
Level 4
Just try stopping and starting netbackup and media manager daemons if you have changed some configurations on the netbackup. It is that bptm could not find a unassigned volume from the volume database for mounting. Chk if bptm is connecting to the right media server.

1. Create Create following logs,on the master
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bprd

from media server
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpbrm
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bptm

and then submit a manual backup job and debug the log files. Check the vmd log file which should be in Install_Path/volmgr/debug/daemon/log.XXXXX

2. Chk if you have specified the correct storage unit for the policy and also ensure you are not selecting override policy storage unit option.

3. Chk if the volume status is not frozen or suspended in the media list report.

Regards
Satish

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
Check to see if your media has been set to expire....
Use vmquery command...

vmquery -m | grep "expiration date:"

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Don't you specify scratch pool directly as policy/schedule volume pool? If so, job fails with status 96 and the error cause "Media Manager error 90, invalid volume pool" is recorded in detailed tab.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Haim,
Please forgive me as I mean no disprespect. However, I am concerned that you have repeatedly used a misspelling of scratch. You are using "scartch" . NetBackup by default expects scratch. If you are populating a volume pool called scartch then NetBackup will not use them as scratch tapes by default which would then cause an error 96..Message was edited by:
Bob Stump