cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Images and Retention Periods

Morg
Level 3
I've recently started work with a new company and am in the middle of sorting out their backups.  It appears that the default retention period of 2 weeks was used on all the policies currently setup. My problem now is that I have had a request to restore a file which I can no longer see images or have any idea which tape it would have been written to.

What I have been trying to do is run an phase 1 image import in order to get at any images that may exist on the tapes in the library.  However, when I run the import I'm getting a message that the mediaid I specify differs to the mediaid on the tape.  For example:

In NB Console under Media (Media and Device Management) the MediaID shows as 0000L4, Barcode is KP0000L4.  In the detailed status for the import job I get the following message:

Error bptm(pid=240) Media mounted has media id of KP0000, but 0000L4 was requested.  Must add KP0000 to Media Manager volume database and retry.

I have run a robot inventory and compared it to the volume configuration but no mismatches are detected.  Is there anything I can do check the tapes in Library for images and catalog them?

Thanks

Leigh
5 REPLIES 5

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
In the inventory robot, advanced options you need to configure the media ID generation so that it matches what you need.

Morg
Level 3
Is that not just for new Media ID generation?

Patrick_Whelan_
Level 6
Since you are importing these tapes, they are in essence new tapes. :)

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
remebmer netbackup only takes 6 characters by default under the tapes, the issue here is if the barcode rules are configured to take the last 6 ones or the first 6 ones, check this and confirm your barcode rules are not giving you any issues, then check with the bplabel command if the internal name of the media is the same has the external, in many ocations this can be the problem.

hope this helps.
regards

Morg
Level 3
Hi,

The barcode and media rules were both blank so it looks like on the physical tape it had used the 1st 6 characters of the barcode but in NBU it had used the last 6 characters of the barcode.

In order to correct this without potentially losing any data should I delete each of the tapes in question from the Volume Pools they belong to.  I can then run a Phase1 import tape by tape and setup a MediaID rule to use the 1st 6 characters of the barcode label and use a Robot Inventory to update the volume configuration?

Regards,

Leigh