cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incremental Running as Full with TIR & Move Detection Turned on

Mathew_Burke
Level 4

I have a Incremental Backup running like a full. The policy has "Collect true image restore information" and "with move detection" turned on.

We use NBU Enterprise 7.01

When I checked I found that there was a file used by TIR & Move Detection located in

\install path\NetBackup\tir_info\C

\install path\NetBackup\tir_info\D

I found a file for each backup I ran called "NetBackup_file_info.new.POLICY_NAME.####" there were many files. When I checked I found that other servers configured in a similar way did not have the .NEW they had "NetBackup_file_info.POLICY_NAME.####" instead. I found that the TIR uses this file when generating backups. But on this server the .New file never gets re-named and when he backup runs I get the error in the backup

'\Install path\NetBackup\tir_info\C\NetBackup_file_info.POLICY_NAME' is missing. Backing up everything in 'C:' The incrimental backup then backups up everyting.

So the .NEW file is supposed to get re-named after a backup but on this server it never does. If I manually re-name the file the backup appears to run normally but I am concerned that if  I leave it like this the integrity of the backups on this server will be compromised.

This issue was supposed to be fixed in 7.01 so I am not sure why I am getting this problem.

4 REPLIES 4

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sounds like the client may still be at an affected version (6.5.x).  Could you double check it?

Get the contents of <install>\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\version.txt (I think that's where it is, right?)

Mathew_Burke
Level 4

Client Information:

NetBackup 7.01

Windows 2003 SP2 Standard Edition

HARDWARE Windows x86
VERSION NetBackup 7.0.1
RELEASEDATE Thu Jul  8 01:14:55 CDT 2010
BUILDNUMBER 20100707

I checked this morning and none of the .new files were re-named. This makes me think that the incrimental would be based on the worg full backup. Because I ran a full and an incrimental last night. Now there are three files in the tir_info folder (one for every backup that I have ran).

remarks
Level 2

Same kind of client, same NetBackup Version, same Buildnumber ...

The *new*-file (TIR-Info) is not being renamed for an incremental, so the incremental is having the exact same size as the full.

I tried the know workaround for 7.0: rename the file, run a full, than another incremental - no change.

remarks
Level 2

Hello Mathew,

I might have a workaround even though I cannot give you a reason why backups are functioning now.

What I did was totally deinstall NetBackup and reinstall it afterwards - no booting of the system. What I did on my first update was selecting the update and the deinstallation first because I thought that NetBackup will "do it right". No I manually deinstalled NetBackup on all clients having the Tir-Error and everything is working fine after the reinstall

Hope this works for you as well. Comments are very welcome since I don't have an explanation yet.