cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid filelist specification (69)

blurred365
Level 3

Hi,

This is a question / problem when trying to backup Exchange Information Store.

System is Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 R2 32Bit SP2, this is in a 4 node active/active/active/passive MS Failover Cluster. Real node names EX1 to EX4 virtual or cluster resource names are EXVS001 to 003. NBU is version 7.1 64bit master and 3 media servers all same version as is the client version 7.1 all running on windows 2003 R2 SP2 64 bit.

I am only trying to back up the Information stores so this should be no great problem, or so you would think! I cannot get this to work, I’m sure it has something to do with naming though.

The error I get is “Invalid filelist specification (69)” reading the job logI it seems incapable of finding the server to locate the Information Store i.e. File List to perform the backup. I have gone through my policy in great detail and have changed the client name to match every conceivable option in the policy and the client and the agent yet still no luck.

I have set up a test lab, although it’s only a 2 node exchange cluster, and I get the same issue. This is not the first time I have come up against issues with NBU and clustering, Symantec seem to have a fundamental problem when it comes to the concept of a cluster.

If anyone can suggest anything I would be most grateful.

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There was a user with a similar issue a few days ago. He resolved the issue by starting the Netbackup Client service with a domain account (probably an exchange admin). I know this is not a requirement (only for mailbox backups) but try that and see what happens.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-71-and-exchange-2003-0

blurred365
Level 3

Hi, Thanks for reply.

Apologies but I had already looked at that and tried it, unfortunately it has not fixed the issue.

I have included a copy of the bpbkar log for information, the only real error I see is “09:22:43.336: [4540.7092] <4> dos_backup::V_VerifyFileList: INF - unable to determine UBStype for:Microsoft Information Store:”

Thanks

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hello,

what is the exchange server name that is configured in the exchange server...?

in the log i find that the client name is using as exvs003... is that the name the exchange server is configured...

netbackup policy needs to be configured with the same name how the exchage server is conigured...

even the other names are points to the same box where the exchage server is active...they should not be used..

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Have you tried browsing the exchange objects using BAR on the client? Try with exchange and non exchange admins. If I compare your logs to other users it doesn't show the ones in bold.... As if its not getting access to those components. Just a thought, might be relevant, might not.

If you can browse them, try the backup from the client.

10:31:43.256 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - BEDS_Init() Enter InitFlags:0x0
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: C:
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: Q:
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: T:
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: U:
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: X:
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: Microsoft Terminal Services
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: Microsoft Windows Network
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: Web Client Network
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: \\ExchServer\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: \\ExchServer\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders

10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: Shadow?Copy?Components
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpDleInfo() DLE Device Name: \\ExchServer\Microsoft Information Store
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <2> ov_log::V_GlobalLog: INF - DumpChildDleInfo() Child DLE Device Name: \\ExchServer\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
10:31:43.912 AM: [2760.8068] <4> dos_backup::V_VerifyFileList: INF - UBS Local Type for 'Microsoft Information Store:\' --> 10020020

blurred365
Level 3

Hi,

The Exchange Server Name for this Information Store is physical node ‘EXN3’, Cluster resource or exchange virtual name is ‘EXVS003’. I follow your logic and have configured using physical and virtual and still get no joy! The server name in Exchange admin is ‘EXVS003’ as it should be.

Regards

blurred365
Level 3

Hi,

Yes I can browse to the Information Stores on the Exchange server with BAR and select any of the groups using 'EXVS003' but am still not able to back up. Get the same error (69).

Regards

Marianne
Level 6

Please have a look at this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58226

Backups failing on Exchange with status 69 when Exchange System Manager is not installed.

Please also post your policy config:

On master, run this from cmd: bppllist <policy-name> -U

blurred365
Level 3

Hi,

I've looked at the TECH doc and I do have ESM installed on all Exchange nodes. I can browse the information store from BAR if I change the client config to the node name from the Exchange Virtual name I can no longer do this, hence my frustration as I'm confident my config is correct. If I run the backup from BAR it fails in the same way (69)....

Policy config: (Frequency and retention and so on, are not for production just for setup and test use)

Policy Name:       Exchange_Data_Store

Policy Type:         MS-Exchange-Server
  Active:              yes
  Effective date:      05/19/2011 16:16:07
  Mult. Data Streams:  no
  Client Encrypt:      no
  Checkpoint:          no
  Policy Priority:     0
  Max Jobs/Policy:     Unlimited
  Disaster Recovery:   0
  Collect BMR info:    no
  Residence:           Storage_Unit_NB02_Disk
  Volume Pool:         NetBackup
  Server Group:        *ANY*
  Keyword:             (none specified)
  Data Classification:       -
  Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:    no
  Exchange Source attributes:              no
  Application Discovery:      no
  Discovery Lifetime:      28800 seconds

Granular Restore Info:  no
  Ignore Client Direct:  no
  HW/OS/Client:  Windows-x86   Windows2003   exvs003

Include:  Microsoft Information Store:\

Schedule:          Full
    Type:            Automatic Backup
    Frequency:       every 1 day
    Maximum MPX:     1
    Synthetic:       0
    PFI Recovery:    0
    Retention Level: 13 (1 day)
    Number Copies:   1
    Fail on Error:   0
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:     (same as policy volume pool)
    Server Group:    (same as specified for policy)
    Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:     0
    Daily Windows:
          Sunday     00:00:00  -->  Saturday   23:59:59