cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is backup possible with RHES 6.2 guest OS on VMware 4.1?

nb-nb
Level 3

Hello,

I am running RHES 6.2 servers as guests on VMware 4.1.  I have installed NB_6.5.6 successfully on my RHES 6.2 servers and it says it starts without errors, however using 'netstat -an' it doesn't list any NB services running / Listening on any ports so my Master can't connect to perform backups.

I can ping the Master server and the Media server and the 'bpclntcmd -pn' command shows the correct information.

I am trying to do direct backups, I'm not configuring NB to go through or see VMware.

Is this configuration correct?  Should this be working and if so can you help me figure out why the nbclient doesn't run correctly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

RHEL 6.x is supported as from NBU 6.5.3.1.

Please have a look at Unix/Linux install guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52799  and verify that installation process has done everything listed in topic called 'How the installation script works' - e.g. entries in /etc/services, xinetd entries.

Also check that iptables has been stopped/disabled.

The fact that the client exists as a VM has no bearing on troubleshooting as normal NBU client is installed in the VM.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

RHEL 6.x is supported as from NBU 6.5.3.1.

Please have a look at Unix/Linux install guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52799  and verify that installation process has done everything listed in topic called 'How the installation script works' - e.g. entries in /etc/services, xinetd entries.

Also check that iptables has been stopped/disabled.

The fact that the client exists as a VM has no bearing on troubleshooting as normal NBU client is installed in the VM.

nb-nb
Level 3

The issue for me turned out to be the lack of xinetd.  It isn't installed by default so it isn't running.  The standard services controlled by xinetd aren't normally used.

My concern is the lack of feed back from NB during install; one would think that it would check to see if xinetd (or inetd) is installed and running since it is needed for proper operation.

Also why would NB give the indication that it started okay when xinetd is missing / not running?

Thank you for your help.