cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible: NetBackup master and media server has 2 connection (not routable to each other)

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,
Is it the below configuration possible?
Master server has network 10.44 we (call it production network) and 10.59 (the last one we call it a backup network)
The media server has 10.44 and 10.59 
Some NetBackup clients only using 10.59, some NetBackup clients only using 10.44.

The idea is some new clients does not have backup network

notes: The production network and backup network are not routable to each other

So the master and media servers serving 2 different network. Is this configuration possible?  How about the name of the master and media server, can we use 2 names ?

(I have posted similar but different question before and already answered. https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Is-it-possible-NetBackup-client-does-not-have-a-direct/m-p/8366... )

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Yes, special config required per client basis - in regards of etc/host file... where you will have to point to certian NBU IP - depending on the LAN.... for master and media servers... 

I was there - bad idea, I do not propose to follow this route...

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes, this configuration is possible.

But you need to FULLY understand network paths and how operating system routing works, before making such a configuration. If you do it wrong you will end with a non-workable netbackup installation.

Bascially each interface needs to own IP & DNS name. Then it "just" a qustion on pointing to the right names.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Yes, special config required per client basis - in regards of etc/host file... where you will have to point to certian NBU IP - depending on the LAN.... for master and media servers... 

I was there - bad idea, I do not propose to follow this route...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes, this configuration is possible.

But you need to FULLY understand network paths and how operating system routing works, before making such a configuration. If you do it wrong you will end with a non-workable netbackup installation.

Bascially each interface needs to own IP & DNS name. Then it "just" a qustion on pointing to the right names.

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Thank you all for the answers. I have a similar answer from our SI. 

Regards, 

iwan Tamimi

Hey Yes currently we are now in the same setup... like we have 2 ip segments one starts with 169.x.x.x and 10.x.x.x basically all you need is VLAN and make sure no confusion while routing the backups from the clients so we will have better configuration like on the client server will have seperate backup NIC even they have bla bla application (app will use the other NIC which is Production)