cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable hosts within a policy?

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
Situation:

I have several hosts that belong to one policy. Is it possible to temporarily disable individual hosts within the policy without deactivating the entire policy?

I don't really want to delete a host out of a policy only to add him later on just to avoid errors from being logged.
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
I do not know of any way to do this without errors being generated. That being said, this is what I do.

Create a policy called FREE_PARKING
temporarily park the client into this non-active policy.
you can even create a dummy schedule within FREE_PARKING with a creative name that reminds you from whence the client came. Then remove the client from its normal policy.

HTHBS

Stumpr2
Level 6
Another way that I have seen this done is to make an inactive copy of the policy called policy_SAVE and then change the original by removing the client. Then when you are ready to add the client back, simply just replace the policy with policy_SAVE.

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
Point to note that when replacing the original policy with policy_SAVE, the policy will be treated as new. Hence the incremental backup schedule would backup full for the first time it run after replecement.

Stumpr2
Level 6
In NetBackup 5.1 and lower, the incrementals will not run as fulls if it is done correctly. I can not speak for 6.x as I have not experienced it yet. The only difference will be a temporary activation/deactivation and a deletion/addition of a single client.