cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to restore from multiple tapes at once

ole_gunner
Level 3
We are backing up a DB2 EEE database across one coordinator node and three data nodes, each of which is a media server. We run multiple streams to multiple tape drives I want to perform a full database restore. Is it possible to have many tapes in many drives restoring at once?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

zippy
Level 6
Ole,

Ahh, nope, not if the one backup came from the same image.

JimMessage was edited by:
James Dunn

Stumpr2
Level 6
This sounds similiar to what I did with Oracle.
I used multistreaming but not multiplexing.
You may be able to do this.

ole_gunner
Level 3
Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I am very interesetd in how you acheived this, even though you used Oracle instead of DB2.
We do not use multiplexing, simply for the fact that the restores would take longer. DB2 will send out multiple streams (sessions) so in effect it is multistreaming. How did you restore the data, and where does it actually restore the data to when you have multiple drives sending data back?
Thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6
I am not a dba so this is a high level explanation.The db was backed up by threads. Each thread was an individual image and was written to a tape as an individual image. The software the dba's used kept track of the threads. During the restore all, of the threads were restored to a common disk. The dba's then meshed the threads together to recreate the db. It is magic to me as I am not a dba.