cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is rehydratation faster with NetBackup 7.5 ?

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Rehydrating data (for example, copying data from deduplicated disk to tape) has been improved in the last versions of NetBackup (7.1.0.4, 7.5).
Does someone has measured the speed of a copy from disk to tape in a 7.1.0.4 or 7.5 configuration with existing Disk Pool ?

Is it really faster and what are the speeds reached?

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

I've got no benchmarks but in NetBackup 7.5.0.1 Release notes there is a whole section on rehydration performance improvements.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5429

thesanman
Level 6

Looks pretty much word for word the same as the section in the v7.1.0.4 release notes.

I'm about to upgrade from v7.1.0.3 to v7.1.0.4 so should have some results in a week or so as the server side rebasing kicks in across my 2 x 10TB MSDP's

thesanman
Level 6

My experience after 2 weeks and my Production backups having done 2 full image cycles is that, in my environment, I've seen 10-20% performance increase for the MSDP to Advanced Disk rehydration.

It's difficult to tell exactly due to environmental factors but certainly it's faster.  Not fast enough for me yet but it's a step in the right direction.

Gdd
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thank you for this information.
Could you tell me what is the speed reached, and what are the characteristics of the deduplicated space used ?
Thank you.