cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with tape drive - Dell Powervault 132T - windows server 2003 master

lovethatcheese
Level 5

Hello. Having issues installing a tape drive on a Windows 2003 Master. The OS sees both tape drives, have the same drivers, and the admin gui for the Dell powervault runs all diagnostic tests / checks fine. It sees two drives and one robot.

When I set this up in NB, it consistently identifies drive .001 as a stand alone drive. NB adds the robot and drive .000 fine.

I have tried:

Removing the tape drives from the device manager, rescanning for changes, etc. Both drives consistently come back under 'Tape Drives" as IBM Ultrium-td3 SCSI Sequential Device".

nbemmcmd - deletealldevices -machinename NAME -machinetype media

re-ran the wizard, still shows up as this:     my problem is drive .001 - what's the deal with the limitations listed? In looking at the details, it just says

"unable to determine robot type. Drive is standalone or in unknown robot. The robot drive number for this drive is unknown".

I had a ticket opened with Symantec, and they state it is a hardware issue. I have a contract with Service Express for hardware fixes, etc, and they state the drive is in 100% working order. So, we are at a finger pointing stage. Anyone have any tips / hints? It would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
By scan output, PV-132T says "I have only one tape drive and 8 slots inside". PV-132T seems like OEM of ADIC(Quantum) Scalar 24. If I remember right, it has partitioning feature. Check PV-132T configuration, or ask DELL to check and fix its configuration as one standard tape library with 2 tape drives.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Can you post output of scan(install_path\volmgr\bin\scan) command?

Also check if this PV-132T is configured without any advanced features like partitioning, with latest firmware.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I would say that if the NBU is reporting that the robot type cannot be determined, it may well be an issue with the library. However, running drive tests will not show up this issue hence the information you are given. To configure drives, NBU basically uses the information sent back from the devices from 'scsi' inquire commands - if the info isn't right, or complete, you get issues like you will see. Put another way - device config should just work, and when it doesn't there isn't usually anything we can do in nbu to fix it - there is no magic switch or settings that can be made. It would be interesting to see what the scan output shows from the robot control host ? That doesn't mean there isn't anyting we can do, to work around the issue. 1. Add the drive as stand alone, then edit the config and config it into the library. The scan output will show a section for the library/ changer, this should list the drives in the library by serial number. The position of the drive in the list, is the number you give the drive when configuring it manually into the library. 2. Re-run the wizard, on one of the screens you will see the changer and the drives in the library, this screen will show any drives that are stand-alone. You can actually 'grab' the drive with the mouse, and drop it onto the robot, this could be worth a go - kind of manual config via the wizard. In summary, I agree with the findings of my colleagues - as I mentioned, NBU configures drives based on the info it is sent, from the drives themselves and the library. I have a library and drives, I do not know anyway that I could reproduce your issue, that is, make the drive appear as stand alone (apart from turning the robot off ...) when running the wizard - therefore, based on this fact, the issue must be outside nbu. Martin

lovethatcheese
Level 5

here's the results from scan:

*********************** SDT_TAPE    ************************
*********************** SDT_CHANGER ************************
------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "Changer0"
Passthru Name: "Changer0"
Volume Header: ""
Port: 2; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 1
Inquiry    : "DELL    PV-132T         310D"
Vendor ID  : "DELL    "
Product ID : "PV-132T         "
Product Rev: "310D"
Serial Number: "DELL1_3134669A1831"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: ""
Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER
NetBackup Robot Type: 8
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-2
Number of Drives : 1
Number of Slots  : 8
Number of Media Access Ports: 1
Drive 1 Serial Number      : "1210051491"
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0
Device Name  : "Tape0"
Passthru Name: "Tape0"
Port: 2; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 2
Inquiry    : "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     6B20"
Vendor ID  : "IBM     "
Product ID : "ULTRIUM-TD3     "
Product Rev: "6B20"
Serial Number: "1210051491"
Device Identifier: "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     1210051491"
Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 16
Device Supports: SCSI-3
Device Name  : "Tape1"
Passthru Name: "Tape1"
Port: 2; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 3
Inquiry    : "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     6B20"
Vendor ID  : "IBM     "
Product ID : "ULTRIUM-TD3     "
Product Rev: "6B20"
Serial Number: "1210090213"
Device Identifier: "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD3     1210090213"
Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 16
Device Supports: SCSI-3

Firmware has been installed on both .000 / .001 drives through Dell PowerVault admin gui.

Also, thanks again Yasuhisa - you have been a lifesaver these last couple days.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
By scan output, PV-132T says "I have only one tape drive and 8 slots inside". PV-132T seems like OEM of ADIC(Quantum) Scalar 24. If I remember right, it has partitioning feature. Check PV-132T configuration, or ask DELL to check and fix its configuration as one standard tape library with 2 tape drives.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Please ensure that you have to restart Media Manager or whole NetBackup after tape device configuration changes.

lovethatcheese
Level 5

The tape drive was indeed in sequential mode, with partitioning turned on. Yasuhisa -> you are the man!