cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of connectivity between media server and master server.

b82klo
Level 3
Hi, I have just added another media server but it don’t seem to do what it is supposed to. We run Windows 2003 on the master server and on one media server. The new media server is Windows 2008 R2. They all have Netbackup 7 installed. When I try to back up something to disk the job is just Queued and the state details just go “Lack of connectivity detected between media server and master server. (Name of storage unit or storage group, name of media server)". Then nothing more happens. I am able to open the media server properties. I am also able to ping both ways and with reverse lookup. It makes no difference if I use SAN connected disk or local disk on the media server. Please advice.
27 REPLIES 27

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Problem:
"The master or the media server tries to access the client, but the client does not recognize the server as a valid server."

Troubleshoot:
"1  If the server is a valid server, verify that it is in the server list on the client. If necessary add it as follows:
   *  On Windows clients: add the server on the Server to use for backups and restores drop-down in the Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type dialog box. To display this dialog box, start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the client. Then click Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type on the File menu.
   *  On UNIX, and Macintosh clients: add a SERVER entry in the bp.conf file.
   *  On NetWare target and OS/2 clients: add a SERVER entry in the bp.ini file.
   If you change the server list on a UNIX master server, do the following for the changes to take effect: stop and then restart the NetBackup Request daemon (bprd) and NetBackup database manager daemon (bpdbm). On Windows, stop and restart the NetBackup Request Manager and NetBackup Database Manager services.
..."

or

In-Depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 59 in NetBackup Server (tm) / NetBackup Enterprise Server (tm) 6.0
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/277539.htm

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

What changes did you make to get this little bit further?

b82klo
Level 3
Hmmmm,

When I use fqdn in my ...drivers\etc\hosts file I get status 59. If I don't use fqdn but only the servername I get the "Lack of connectivity between media server and master server." message again.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

e.g.

10.11.12.13     hostname      hostname.domain.com

b82klo
Level 3
Hmmmm, I am unsure how I can describe how stupid I am.

The problem is now solved.

The thing is that the client I was testing with is a VM. The hierarchy in our NetBackup domain is Master Server, Media Server, Backup Host and Client. As soon as I added my new media server as an Additional server on the Backup Host server everything worked as it should. In my head I thought that I only should add the server on the Master Server.

Well, I am happy but embarrassed. Thanks for all your help.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
laugh

b82klo
Level 3
crying

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
wink