cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading new tapes and rewrite on it

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi,

i want to know how to load new tapes LTO4 to physical tape library  the delete the data on this tapes to reuse them again or overwrite the data on this tape or erase the data on that tape  :

i have :

Symantic Product Name: Symantec Netbackup

Product Version: 7.0.1

Operating System: HP-UX 11iv3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you look in the manyuals, the answes are all there ?

If you go into the robot inventory in the GUI and select the advanced options button

2 methods (use 1 or 2)

1)

As marianne mentioned, in the advanced options, you select the media type in the drop down, and the volumepool you wish the media to go into.  This is found at the bottom of the 'Media Settings' tab.  You need to unselect the 'Use barcode rules' tick box.

This works for one inventory only.  If you rerun the inventory, you have to go back in and make these settings.

2)

Again in advanced options, 

Goto barcode rules tab

Select new

Add the barcode tag.  This has to be some part of the physical barcode that is unique to the tapes.

If my bardcodes are AA0001  etc , then I would use AA, as this would matcj all the tapes.

If other tapes are AB0001 etc ... then I would need an 'AB' barcode rule, as this would not match AA

I do not know if you can do this, you have not given informations as t what the barcodes are.

Select media type

Select volume pool you wish the tapes to go into 

Martin

PS.  Yes, delete the media (not eject) and rerun the inventory. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the tapes are new, there is no need to overwrite anything, NetBackup will automatically label them and use them.

If the tapes have been previously used, NetBack will re-use them once the data on them has expired.  There is no need to delete anything, they will just automatically be over written.

The only requirement is to physically load the tapes into the library and then run a library inventory from the GUI.

You do need to ensure that the tapes are given the correct density (eg. hcart, hcart2 etc ) and that this desity matches the tape drives.

For example, if the drive is density hcart2, the tapes must be the same(hcart2) in order for NBU to allow to be used with that drive.

This should be done by setting up barcode rules to match the barcode label on the tape, for example, if your barcodes are 

AA1234L4

Then you would set a barcode rule to match AA = hcart2

That way, any tape starting AA will be given the hcart2 density.

This is all covered in the NetBackup Admin Guides part 1 and 2.

Here is a link to ALL the 7.5 manuals.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138&key=15143

Even if you are using 7.1 / 7.0 - the steps are the same, so this link should be fine.

However, the other documentation lionks can be found here .

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=15143

If you follow the steps in the manuals, you will see how this is done.

Regards,

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If there are no valid images in NBU catalogs for those tapes, they will automatically be overwritten.

No need to erase. You just need to inventory the library and ensure tapes are in correct backup pool(s) or in Scratch (if configured).

If your library has a MAP/CAP, you can put tapes in the these slots, close the MAP/CAP, select the robot in the Media section of GUI, right-click, Inventory. select Update volume configuration, then  Empty media access port prior to update, then Start.

If you are unfamiliar with NBU media management, please read through Admin Guide I Section 3:
■ Chapter 7. Configuring robots and drives
■ Chapter 8. Configuring tape media
■ Chapter 9. Inventorying robots

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

Hi martin,

i do the following :

1-physically load the tapes into the library and then run a library inventory from the GUI.

2- and can see the tapes in inventory ?? ,,,, but cannot backup to them as :

library Tape drive type is : HCART

Media Type(density) is : DLT

so can i change Media Type is : DLT to HCART if so how to do that  ??

and how to ensure that the tapes are given the correct density  ??

And you said "This should be done by setting up barcode rules to match the barcode label on the tape, for example, if your barcodes are

AA1234L4

Then you would set a barcode rule to match AA = hcart2

That way, any tape starting AA will be given the hcart2 density.

"

How to do that ?can i do that in my case   ????

library Tape drive type is : HCART

Media Type(density) is : DLT

thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Rather use Media Settings Tab to change DEFAULT media type.

In Media type field, select the media type that matches your tape drives.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi Marianne,

sorry how to change media type from DLT to HCART  at GUI

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi marianne ,

i do all you said but after putting all new tapes with old configuration 

now is it a must to eject these tapes again then insert them to take the update effect??

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Did you look in the manyuals, the answes are all there ?

If you go into the robot inventory in the GUI and select the advanced options button

2 methods (use 1 or 2)

1)

As marianne mentioned, in the advanced options, you select the media type in the drop down, and the volumepool you wish the media to go into.  This is found at the bottom of the 'Media Settings' tab.  You need to unselect the 'Use barcode rules' tick box.

This works for one inventory only.  If you rerun the inventory, you have to go back in and make these settings.

2)

Goto barcode rules tab

Select new

Add the barcode tag.  This has to be some part of the physical barcode that is unique to the tapes.

If my bardcodes are AA0001  etc , then I would use AA, as this would matcj all the tapes.

If other tapes are AB0001 etc ... then I would need an 'AB' barcode rule, as this would not match AA

I do not know if you can do this, you have not given informations as t what the barcodes are.

Select media type

Select volume pool you wish the tapes to go into 

Martin

PS.  Yes, delete the media (not eject) and rerun the inventory. 

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

if it is a must to eject  the media how to do that  ??

i know that is done from media id > right click  > eject volume from robot

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please read my posts carefully.  I said to delete, not eject.

As per this post

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-basics-and-how-make-your-life-easier

It is expected that anyone on the forum (and that includes me) actually reads the manuals.  Everything you are asking about is written down with step by step instructions in the guides.   I am curious as to why you  have not read these  ?

Of course, if you do not understand something, post up the page and manual and question, and we will explain it to you.  It IS expected that people make an effort, eg. read the manuals.

However, I will answer your question.

To delete the media, right click and select delete, not eject.

Please also not that in the above link, there is a list of minumum skills that I expect admins  to have.  We understand that  you have to start somewhere  (we have all been there) however, I would suggest you look through the list (in part (S) ) and undergo a training course in NBU to learn how to do these things.

It is not fair on you, if your employer expects you to do tasks such as your are doing with no training.

Martin

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

Hi Martin,

as i understand from your post i must delete the volumes (tape media) as follow  media id > delete  to take the effect of  one of these two steps 

1)

As marianne mentioned, in the advanced options, you select the media type in the drop down, and the volumepool you wish the media to go into. This is found at the bottom of the 'Media Settings' tab. You need to unselect the 'Use barcode rules' tick box.

This works for one inventory only. If you rerun the inventory, you have to go back in and make these settings.

2)

Goto barcode rules tab

Select new

Add the barcode tag. This has to be some part of the physical barcode that is unique to the tapes.

If my bardcodes are AA0001 etc , then I would use AA, as this would matcj all the tapes.

is that right  ??

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You could actually use vmchange -h <emm serevr> -new_mt <density> -m <media id> and change the density that way.  This cannot be done from the GUI.

If you wish to do it from the GUI, then yes, you are correct, delete the media and follow one of the two steps.

Martin