cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Backup from the Admin console Gui client grayed out

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello All,

I just want to verify It is possible for a Netbackup Admin to use the Admin Java console for backup correct?  I select a client and the restore part is fine no problem. However when I click the Backup Tab  the client becomes  Grayed Out. Also, the directory thats there is not the client that I would want to perform the backup on. Is there a selection I am missing?

I Would like to do is a manual Backup (full) of specific Filesystems/directories on an Aix Client using the Admin Console Gui.   I don't need to do a Full on the whole client/server.

Netbackup 7.6.0.3 master Server running on Linux

Thanks in Advance for any help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Considerations for user schedules

page 722 in the Symantec NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume I

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You can have more than one schedule in a Policy. For Ful/lInc policies, the master server will have control over policy execution and will backup what is specified in Backup Selection. User Backup schedule is what it says. With this schedule you allow admin on the client to manually select files/folders to backup. You give this schedule a backup window during which you allow backups initiated from the client. This type of backup cannot be done from the master server. Client only.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Not sure if I understand you correctly - do want to use BAR GUI to run a manual of client's files/folders? The backup section of BAR GUI is for User type backup of local machine/server. A policy with User Backup schedule and open window during which User backups are allowed must exist for this server. The only way to run a manual backup for a client from the master, is to create a policy with Full/Incr schedule and files/folders in Backup Selection tab.

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes Marianne is right, you need to create a user backup schedule, to run client initiated backup/restores, and to do so you need to open specifique ports if a firewall is in place.

• Client to master server requires the TCP ports for PBX/1556 and vnetd/13724 for client-initiated (user or application), but not server-initiated, operations.
  • Client to master server requires TCP ports for PBX/1556 and vnetd/13724 for Client Direct restores (new in 7.6). 

Check https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH136090 for further information :)

Sometimes you will be able to see the restore images from the client, if your version is not 7.6, but you will not be able to browse folders of your own client if the ports have not been open yet on the firewall.

Doing so, you will be able to browse the folders and run a backup, without any problem, but it is going to fail, if you do not have creted before a schedule on you master that permits client initiated backups~ also called  a user backup type.

Best regards,

Cruisen

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi Marianne, Cruisen,Thanks for your replies!

Marianne - do want to use BAR GUI to run a manual of client's files/folders? yes

The only way to run a manual backup for a client from the master, is to create a policy with Full/Incr schedule and files/folders in Backup Selection

When I create the backup policy can I use the name "user backup" for both the policy and client? Just checking because I haven't done this yet.

I will check the manuals for the proper procedure.

Best Regards,

Will_Restore
Level 6

Considerations for user schedules

page 722 in the Symantec NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume I

Marianne
Level 6
You can have more than one schedule in a Policy. For Ful/lInc policies, the master server will have control over policy execution and will backup what is specified in Backup Selection. User Backup schedule is what it says. With this schedule you allow admin on the client to manually select files/folders to backup. You give this schedule a backup window during which you allow backups initiated from the client. This type of backup cannot be done from the master server. Client only.