Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Server restore question

Majid
Level 5
Partner Accredited
hey guys ,

Need your help on a master server restore scenario. I am having a Netbackup Master Server running on Windows Platform which is clustered using Microsoft Cluster. Now on my DR site if i want to restore the master server , can i restore it on a standalone machine or do i have to restore it on a clustered node ? The important thing here is that the path of the EMM Database in the cluster will be on the shared storage and on the standalone machine it will be the default path, will it work?

Regards,

Majid.

2 REPLIES 2

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Going from a clustered to non-clustered server is not supported.  Of course, I'm not saying it cannot be done.

You are correct, the location of the database is different, and as the location of the database is actually stored in the database, it will not work.  However, if you jig it to put the database in the same place as the cluster you should be ok.  I admit, I'm not sure what else would need changing if anything, as I've never done this on windows.

However, you should restore it to a clustered node, else it is not a DR test.  I see many many issues where DR recoveries fail due to the DR site not being the same as the live.   It is acceptable to have for example, less media servers or less drives, but really any changes outside of that are taking you outside of a DR test.  The reason things "aren't supported" is simply that they have been shown to either not work, or to be unreliable.

I do appreciate that often this is outside of the admins control, for eg. the company won't pay the cost of replicating the live site.

Martin

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It was tested and EMM is defferent for clustered and non-clustered NBU.

It will fail to recover from cluster to non-clustered environment even if you will keep all the paths and hostnames.

couple of folks from this forum have also tested it without any success.