cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Windows patches - Netbackup 7

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

We need to apply some MS patches to our NBU Windows 2k3 master server and I was just wondering whether there is any way we can check whether they have been tested/certified by Symantec. Are you aware of any link/tool that can help with that?

Thanks

--Virgil
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I didn't find any TNs relating to any of the patches listed that would indicate a issue we have seen previously.  

Recommend to run a full Catalog backup before you install them, just in case.

Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

As you said "We need to apply some MS patches" so, Symantec will never help you in patch upgrade activity.

about testing before appling that patches you may need to contact Microsoft supoort.

Windows Server 2003 and Server 2008 Server Core Installation (ET1952217)

Microsoft (R) C++ Runtime Library (msvcrt.dll) higher than version 8.0.50727.762
This library can be installed by the following redistributable package from Microsoft:
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 or
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 or
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 or
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 or
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service or
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (This is also required for the NetBackup 7.0 Deduplication option.)

VirgilDobos

Thanks Yougesh. However you didn't get it right. Netbackup is already installed for some years on this machine and we just need to add some OS patches as per the Microsoft's recommendation. I just want to make sure those patches won't affect my NBU environment. Any thoughts?

--Virgil

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Symantec is unable to test each and every operating system patch that is released.  In the same way, that Microsoft doesn't test every Symantec patch that is released.

Unfortunatly, patching a system is often try it and see ... I am not awaty of ANY software provider that routinly tests the patches of another provider.

If you post the patches up here, I will have a quick check to see if we know they have caused an issue in the past.  If they have not, if does not mean they will not cause an issue on your system - it is an unknown unfortunately.

Martin

VirgilDobos

These are the patches;

Vulnerability in SSL/TLS Could Allow Information Disclosure (2643584)
Vulnerability in SSL/TLS Could Allow Information Disclosure (2643584)
Vulnerability in Microsoft Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2584146)
Vulnerabilities in Windows Media Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2636391)
Vulnerabilities in Windows Media Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2636391)
Vulnerability in Windows Client/Server Run-time Subsystem Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2646524)
Vulnerability in Windows Object Packager Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2603381)
Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Could Allow Security Feature Bypass (2644615)
Microsoft Security Advisory: Fraudulent digital certificates could allow spoofing
Microsoft Security Advisory: Update Rollup for ActiveX Kill Bits
Vulnerabilities in .NET Framework Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2638420)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2618444)
Vulnerability in Windows Client/Server Run-time Subsystem Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2620712)
Vulnerability in OLE Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2624667)
Cumulative Security Update of ActiveX Kill Bits (2618451)
Vulnerability in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2639417)
Vulnerability in Ancillary Function Driver Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2592799)
Vulnerability in Microsoft Active Accessibility Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2623699)
Vulnerability in Windows Components Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2570947)
Vulnerability in Remote Desktop Protocol Could Allow Denial of Service (2570222)
Vulnerability in Remote Access Service NDISTAPI Driver Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2566454)
Vulnerabilities in Windows Client/Server Run-time Subsystem Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2507938)
Vulnerability in Vector Markup Language Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2544521)
Vulnerability in .NET Framework Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2538814)
Vulnerability in SMB Client Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2536276)
Vulnerabilities in Distributed File System Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2535512)
Vulnerability in .NET Framework and Microsoft Silverlight Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2514842)
Vulnerability in OLE Automation Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2476490)
Vulnerability in MHTML Could Allow Information Disclosure (2544893)
Vulnerability in Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) Library Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2500212)
Vulnerability in Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) Library Could Allow Remote Code Execution (2500212)
--Virgil

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I didn't find any TNs relating to any of the patches listed that would indicate a issue we have seen previously.  

Recommend to run a full Catalog backup before you install them, just in case.

Martin

VirgilDobos

Hi,

Is there any link where I can check/confirm the same? Thanks.

--Virgil

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

No - I checked the internal Symantec database for Technotes.

Martin

VirgilDobos

Thanks Martin, appreciated.

--Virgil