cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Netbackup to a new server

Mahmoud_Moussa
Level 5
Partner

I Know I have asked this question before but I need new answers due to the new customer requirements 

It'a about moving the Netbackup  6.5.5 from old server to new one with the same configuration & policies except for using new VTL instead of the old library 

but the problem is the customer doesn't want to give the server the new one the same hostname and IP and he is pushing me to a new installation so what I thought of is to create all the old policies again after the new installation which will take some time

what I need to ask about here is what about the integration  do I need to redo everything from the scratch  isn't there any way to make use of the already running scripts & the already implemented integration ?

what about the agents ? Is there any thing that I need to do or think of ?

Any recommendations noted by you will be highly appreciated 

Thanks in advance :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Migration to new server and changing hostname can ONLY be performed by an authorized Symantec Consulting Partner.

See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

It is possible to move the NetBackup catalog from one master to another master server running on the same "primary" platform (i.e. from a Windows server to another Windows server or from a UNIX or Linux server to another UNIX or Linux server) using a simple catalog backup and recovery operation as described in TECH77447 and TECH77448.

However there are many other operations that customers may need to perform at some point that require including migrating the NetBackup catalog information from one primary platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server or Media Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains that should not be attempted without the assistance of a Symantec certified NetBackup consultant, either a Symantec consultant or a certified consultant from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

For advanced migrations not covered or prohibited in the documents above, to insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations must be performed by a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Migration to new server and changing hostname can ONLY be performed by an authorized Symantec Consulting Partner.

See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

It is possible to move the NetBackup catalog from one master to another master server running on the same "primary" platform (i.e. from a Windows server to another Windows server or from a UNIX or Linux server to another UNIX or Linux server) using a simple catalog backup and recovery operation as described in TECH77447 and TECH77448.

However there are many other operations that customers may need to perform at some point that require including migrating the NetBackup catalog information from one primary platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server or Media Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains that should not be attempted without the assistance of a Symantec certified NetBackup consultant, either a Symantec consultant or a certified consultant from a Symantec Consulting Partner.

For advanced migrations not covered or prohibited in the documents above, to insure data integrity and seamless operation, operations must be performed by a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.

Symantec has developed comprehensive methodologies to handle a variety of reconfiguration requirements including the following scenarios:

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
  • Merging of two or more domains
  • Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
  • Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
  • Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
  • Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
  • Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
  • Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

A number of Symantec consultants and Consulting Partners worldwide have been trained on these procedures and certified to deliver them in accordance with standards required by the Symantec technical support organization.

Please contact a NetBackup Sales Representative for assistance in engaging a certified Symantec consultant or Consulting Partner.  

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Marianne is absolutely right.