cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration/Upgrade from NB 5.1 to NB 6.5 Questions

jshoker
Level 3

Hi,

I have an old server running NB 5.1 on a Win2K box I have some clients running the older 4.5 client software. I would like to move the server to a "newer" Win2k3 R2 system that I will install NB 6.5 on (it is 32-bit system). I would like to know what is the best way to do this withouth disrupting too many of the clients. The first question I have is will the 4.5 clients work with the 6.5 server? 

I was thinking of installing NB 5.1 on the Win2K3 server then upgrading it to 6.5 and having all of the existing clients work with the new 6.5 server.

Is this a pipe dream?

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I used to know NBU 5.1 quite well, but it's been Y-E-A-R-S since I last did something like this...

There are 2 ways to do this:

1. Upgrade the existing server to 6,5, then migrate to new platform.

2. Your method - migrate 5.1 to new server, then upgrade.

Both methods will be a 'simple' catalog backup and restore.

For option 2, if you know NBU 5.1 well enough and fully understand where all databases are kept and each ones role, you can simply copy all folders across and recreate device databases. PLEASE bear in mind that master server hostname MUST stay the same.

Your NBU 4.5 clients will probably not work with 6.5 server. Only one major back-level is supported. Any possibility you can upgrade them to 5.1? I still have old compatibility lists and can help you check if those clients can be upgraded.

Please go carefully through this upgrade doc while planning 6.5 upgrade: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52753 . Ensure that NBCC runs clean before performing the upgrade.