cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Master Servers

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi,

We are looking to migrate our current HP-UX 11.23 ia64 Master Server to a RHEL 64bit Master Server, I know that moving from Windows to Unix is very troublesome and it is recommended to employ the services of Symantec Professional Services but are the pitfalls the same for different variants of Unix.

I will probably look at installing NBU6.5.5 on the RHEL Master Server as I am unable to use 7.01 on the HP-UX due to no support for 11.23 ia64, and then perform the Catalog recovery on the new RHEL server, obviously maintaining the original hostname and IP details then to upgrade the new RHEL Master Server to 7.01.

Just wondered if anyone has moved from HP-UX to RHEL or any other flavour of Unix and what problems they encountered during the migration.

Cheers

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hopefully Nicolai will share his experience - I think he has done exactly what you are planning...

As far as I can see the procedure described in this TN should work:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

There are additional steps listed in the TN when migrating to or from Linux, but all steps and requirements are well documented.

Just keep your old master for a day or two as 'back-out' option...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hopefully Nicolai will share his experience - I think he has done exactly what you are planning...

As far as I can see the procedure described in this TN should work:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

There are additional steps listed in the TN when migrating to or from Linux, but all steps and requirements are well documented.

Just keep your old master for a day or two as 'back-out' option...

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

I did look through that technote previously and it all looks straight forward enough, obvioulsy I am abit apprehensive incase of any hiddden issues, I moved all our Netbackup off of Windows when i first joined the company and got them on Unix servers due to reliability issues (approx 7 years ago) now with the cost of the HP-UX software support the company are looking at the RHEL options.

Many thanks for your help

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Many thanks for the responses, the migration from HPUX to RHEL on my offsite Master server worked as documented, had a few issues with DNS as I changed the IP address of the Master Server, got these ironed out and all back up and running, only issue now is the connection to OpsCenter, I have raised a seperate call for this

Thaks

Kev