cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from 1 master to another

Bmitche
Level 5

We are in the process of moving approx. 500 clients from 1 site to another. Each site has it's own master domain. I need an easy way to change these clients from one master to the other. ALL clients and netbackup servers are windows 7.5.03. The first one we moved...I had to uninstall/install the agent to recognize the new master and media servers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to re-install...

Use Host Properties on old master to add new master as SERVER to all clients.

Ensure forward and reverse lookup between new master and clients - Either DNS or hosts entries.

Test connection using bptestbpcd to a number of test clients.
If successful, use Host Properties on new master to select about 20 clients at at a time.
In Servers tab, select new master, click on Make Master.

I have done this more than once....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

That's the best way to move clients, re-install.

If the clients are Windows, you'd need to edit the registry information and change the Server entries to the new Master and change the EMMSERVER entry to the new Master. Also change any media servers from the Server or Media server entries.

Unix you would edit the bp.conf and change the entries for SERVER, MEDIA_SERVER and EMM_SERVER.

A re-install is the best way to ensure you do not miss anything.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

hhhmmm...

how many windows & how many unix client ? are they all std client or some of them are media servers?

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

I agree with revaroo

to keep erroe free backup environment re-installation will be the good.

however you can minimize manual work by doing automation / .msi with AD / network push installation / registry modification / etc.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to re-install...

Use Host Properties on old master to add new master as SERVER to all clients.

Ensure forward and reverse lookup between new master and clients - Either DNS or hosts entries.

Test connection using bptestbpcd to a number of test clients.
If successful, use Host Properties on new master to select about 20 clients at at a time.
In Servers tab, select new master, click on Make Master.

I have done this more than once....

Bmitche
Level 5

I did the un-install/install on 1 of the clients before anyone poted replies and it worked fine.....time consuming but it worked. Then I did Marianne's suggestion and it also worked. I think I will use Marianne's suggestion for the rest. Thanks for the replies.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Please mark Mariannes answer as solution.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

again i agree with revaroo smiley