cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple netbackup 7.0 master servers?

posie80
Level 4

Hi all!

I am trying to see whether its possible to set up multiple master servers  (say, 2 master servers controlling 5 media servers) - both controlling the same media servers and their STUs and having the same catalog data info, etc. Both of these master servers must be online and active at the same time. And in thr DR situation, if Master server A goes down, Master server B will take on the load of Master server A and all will be business as usual.

I would like to see whether such a scenario is doable, because I have a requirement to design an environment where the DR scenario is very easy and seamless (that is, no DNS changes are needed, both servers are up etc) and both servers able to coexist and able to cover each others backs.

Is such a situation possible? I've only ever worked with a DR server in a remote site that is only up during disaster (this DR server has the same hostname as the current master server, and during DR we changed the DNS cname to point to the DR server. We would like to do away with the DNS change step if possible, as I mentioned above...

We are using Netbackup 7.0 running on Windows 2003.

Thanks and appreciate the feedbacks!

Regards

Suzana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Suzana,

Unfortunately this is not possible. You could cluster the master locally, but that would still mean only one node is active at a given time. Clients cannot belong to more than one netbackup domain (master) at a time.

Please note that if you'd like to cluster you would need consulting services to perform the migration from un-clustered to clustered.

See the note below on how to determine how many master servers you need.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56073

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Suzana,

Unfortunately this is not possible. You could cluster the master locally, but that would still mean only one node is active at a given time. Clients cannot belong to more than one netbackup domain (master) at a time.

Please note that if you'd like to cluster you would need consulting services to perform the migration from un-clustered to clustered.

See the note below on how to determine how many master servers you need.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO56073

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Are u planning to new implementation or want modification in existing environments. ??

If it is new implementation --- Implement single master svr with Cluster. 

If it is existing environments --- go for Cluster by taking help from symantec consulting services

Marianne
Level 6

Various options:

Clustered master server with catalogs either on shared SAN (depending on infrastructure) or Global Cluster with catalogs replicated to remote site.

Standby master server with same hostname (DNS update will be needed) and catalogs copied/replicated to standby master.

Have a look at this White Paper for various supported options:  http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_NBU_01_08_13599373.pdf

jrguzmanr
Level 3

I have a master that is a vm which is san replicated.  In case of a DR, we bring up the vm at DR, change the IP, change dns and then it's all ready to go.  I know that's not what you asked but it's really the least complicated solution (at least I think so)  ;)

pikachu
Level 6
Employee Certified

Besides all the usual stuff listed above... how about using the AIR feature in NBU71? AIR can replicate images between different NBU environments.

It does not really fit in regards to what you have asked, however you can have your prod environment and your dr. environment. AIR can replicate the images between PROD and DR.

... just an FYI.

Will_Restore
Level 6

What is 'AIR'?  

OK, found this blog: 

NetBackup 7.1 Features - Auto Image Replication

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/netbackup-71-features-auto-image-replication

posie80
Level 4

Thanks all! Very helpful feedbacks , specially the global cluster option :) will look into that further, granted DNS change is still needed to point the backup master hostname to the DR server's IP, but I guess there's no option that can do without DNS change...right?

Very intreresting, the AIR option..but it looks like its only meant for critical data backups only to be used for this option and its not meant for *all* backups?

Thanks again everybody!